1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 3 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't think Georgia Tech will cover.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's worth its own thread, but anyway ...

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/09/penn_state_mitchell_report_2014.html#incart_big-photo

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Baylor coach Art Briles said today that Baylor tried to talk Buffalo into coming back for this game (implied: Come to Waco for a big payday), but Buffalo really wanted this home game. Might be the only time Buffalo plays on national TV this year. Maybe that factored into it?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That Southern Miss-Alabama number looks like a license to print money.
    Since the start of the 2011 season, Alabama has played 10 home games against non-power conference teams and been favored by at least 39 points in each one. The Tide is 1-8-1 against the spread in those games, has lost or pushed the last nine, and the one cover was a 48-7 win over Kent State in which Alabama was favored by 39.
    All-time under Saban, Alabama is 4-11-1 ATS when favored by 30 or more at home against non-power teams. The last easy cover it had was in 2010 (63-7 vs. Georgia State, favored by 44).

Simply put, for whatever reason, Alabama doesn't seem to run up the score in these games. They get up about 35-0 by halftime or early third quarter and then run out the clock. This game falls squarely into that demographic. Any time you can get 40-plus against Alabama in this sort of game, jump on it. If this thing gets over 50 by kickoff, run to the window. You can thank me later.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Unlike Auburn, Oregon and Texas A&M among others, Alabama doesn't run the Hurry Up No Huddle. So they've practiced burning the clock when they get a big lead, instead of having no experience with anything other than trying to run 3-4 plays a minute.

Not saying A&M, Oregon, Auburn and others try to run up the score, just that the way that their offenses are designed makes it difficult to do anything else.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Excellent stats. Thanks.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

June Jones gone at SMU.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

76-41 on the island including a 12-0 record before the Sugar Bowl debacle.

Why would you leave that kind of A) paradise and B) great thing you built when few have built that great thing on the island?

Did he think he was going to turn SMU into the next Texas power? Funny how some people don't realize how good they've got it.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's a "walk your dog" weekend. (GameDay is doing Fargo ND again) Nothing worth staying home for. But I'm pretty sure at least one ranked team will go down via a team having a let-down from the week before, or thinking they're better than they are because they've been feasting on cupcakes.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You guys didn't have to watch Southern stumblebum around to beat Alcorn State by six points Saturday night like I did. Take Bama to cover; they're gonna hang 60 on USM without even trying.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They certainly have the capability. Doesn't mean they will. As I noted, Saban's Alabama teams rarely beat the spread when it creeps over 40.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think Jones left for reasons other than seeking greater glory. IIRC, he was rather unhappy with Hawaii's commitment to football and athletics -- its spending on facilities, in particular -- and was butting heads with the university's administration.
    Seeing as how the Hawaii brass has floated the idea of scrapping football altogether because of the expense involved, it seems Jones might have had reason to be concerned about the direction of things.

Draft saved Draft deleted