1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 2 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 2, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That would leave the chances at considerably less than 5 percent. Nebraska's flawed enough that it can barely get past McNeese, and Wisconsin is showing signs of -- are these the Badgers? -- not being able to run the ball.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hokies should give them a game in the ACCCG.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jim Delany reads this thread and says fuck all y'all.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11484038/jim-delany-disappointed-big-ten-showing-saturday

"In the three primetime games, we didn't win any. That's disappointing. I would say this: I said they would be disproportionately impactful but I didn't say they would be dispositive. We're not feeling very good but the facts are the facts. I would just say with 50 percent of the nonconference games and 100 percent of conference games remaining, it's premature to make any judgments.

"It's September 7, not December 7. I would hate to think after two weeks we'd pick any teams for anything."

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He realizes of course that Big 10 teams aren't going to get a whole lot of credit for beating other Big 10 teams.
    What will be interesting to see is if say - two or three top teams are in their conference championship games and lose. Maybe it's their first loss, maybe not. There have been a few games where a Big Dog has lost a conference championship.

I like that the AP writers aren't afraid to move teams around in the poll based on how they played versus a particular opponent instead of being like the coaches and just keep moving teams up if they win. What has UCLA done to merit a ranking at this point?

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

A Citadel offensive lineman admitted in a post that he and teammates were going for the knees of Florida State d-linemen. He has since apologized in a statement that is much more eloquent than his original words.

http://bit.ly/1AoRvhf

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Longtime Mississippi State broadcaster Jack Cristil died Sunday at the age of 88. He had been sick for a while with kidney disease and cancer.
    Cristil called Mississippi State football for 58 years until his retirement in 2011, and basketball for 54 years. One of the Southeastern Conference's iconic voices.
    RIP.

http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=209620119

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

One of the great voices in all of college sports. Poor man watched a lot of bad football in his career, and he wasn't shy about telling fans just how bad it was. One of my favorite memories of Jack was a few years ago at the end of a Bulldog beatdown at LSU: "And the (corporate sponsor) Drive of the Game is my drive out of here right after this one is over." Classic stuff. RIP to a legend.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course they were going for the knees. They're a cut-blocking option team, just like Georgia Tech. Nothing illegal about it, although at the very best, it treads the fine line of being dirty play.

From the perspective of an FBS school, though, if you know Citadel is going to cut the hell out of your offensive line's knees, there are plenty of other FCS schools to choose from. If you want a warmup for a game against Georgia Tech, then maybe. But otherwise? We'll hand our paycheck to some other school, thanks very much.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Every team that plays Navy ends up with a bunch of knee injuries the
    following week.

Draft saved Draft deleted