1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 2: There's so much we can do

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

SportsCenter last night identified Notre Dame as a road favorite against Michigan. For serious?

Alabama-Penn State is either going to be an upset or a Crimson Tide beatdown. I can't decide which.

South Carolina will have a good sense of whether it's a BCS contender at Georgia. The Bulldogs have to put last week's game (and uniforms, I hope) behind them, or their season will be done before we reach Sept. 15.

Stanford-Duke would be a HELL of a Quiz Bowl showdown. Too bad they're playing football.

Bigger asskicking -- LSU-Northwestern State, West Virginia-Norfolk State or Florida State-Charleston Southern?

OK, I'm not going to lie. I started this thread to claim dibs on the thread title.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's 4.5 right now.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Stanford-Duke might be a bigger ass-kicking than any of those three FBS-FCS match-ups you mentioned.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Wow. Even factoring in that Notre Dame didn't look bad at all despite losing, I would have still figured them and Michigan to be roughly in the same ballpark. But linesmakers didn't get to be where they are for being dumb, so if they think Notre Dame is -4.5 on the road, who am I to judge?

5. Dick Whitman

I don't think I'd touch that game at 4.5. If it were Notre Dame -3, maybe. And that's a big maybe, when I remember how Denard Robinson ran all over them a year ago. Then again, Notre Dame was still in that game until Robinson flat-out won it for an otherwise bad Michigan team.

6. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Just about any year ND-Michigan year, it's a bad idea to take either team by more than 3 points -- especially a road time. There are exceptions when blow outs happen but in general, regardless of the supposed talent difference between the two teams, it's usually really close.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Anybody who'd wager so much as a counterfeit penny on either of those two teams should report to Gamblers Anonymous immediately.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Notre Dame names Rees the starter for Saturday. So, Crist will probably come in during the second half.

9. Dick Whitman

My guess is that Crist is done as a starter at Notre Dame. Wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer next year to a I-AA school and play his final year.

I don't think Kelly is going to play musical quarterbacks. Rees isn't going to be an NFL starter or anything, but he's capable of game-managing. Crist isn't.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Take Michigan and the points. First home night game ever, right? They'll be jacked up for this one.

11. Dick Whitman

But that seems like something that the oddsmakers would have taken into consideration already in setting the line, right?

I wouldn't take Notre Dame at 4.5. But I also wouldn't feel confident taking Michigan whatsoever, mostly because it was hard to tell from Week 1 what kind of team Notre Dame is.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The oddsmakers take into account that so many Irish fanbois overrate the hell out of them every year. Then add the QB switch. The line is what it is to get money wagered. This looks like easy money to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted