1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football: Week 2 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 5, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Interesting. Didn't realize that about the author. But yeah, it's just interesting to think about for five minutes or so. Maybe 10 minutes after he beats Maryland tomorrow.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That would make for an interesting newspaper story. I'm really surprised I haven't seen one on it in recent years. I'm sure someone has done one, just not at any of the places I've been or any of our competitors, sister papers, etc.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

A lot of Texas kids will never play a varsity game on grass. They have independent school districts there that generally have a few high schools each. Each district builds a large ISD stadium that serves as the home of all the schools in the district. Some play Friday, others on Saturday or Thursday. Because of the traffic, these stadiums are always turf.

Very few games are played on campuses, unless the ISD stadium is on the campus of one of the schools (Katy High is an example, although it may technically be property adjacent to campus and not on campus, per se). The Katy ISD serves what is basically an entire Clkass 5A district of schools, about 6-7. I'm sure there's another stadium somewhere in that district besides Katy High.

Texas playoff games are at neutral sites, which are usually ISD stadiums somewhere between the two opposing schools. Some ISD stadiums will host several of these games on a weekend and might make some pretty good coin off it. For that same reason, the Texas FCS schools all have turf. Stephen F. Austin sits in the middle of nowhere and is the perfect site for a playoff game between two rural schools from the piney woods.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

At my last count, 58 Kansas high schools (out of about 335) play varsity games on FieldTurf now including Kiowa County (Greensburg), which has the only one I know of marked for eight-man football. There are at least five more that I know of that are planned.

The count is somewhat of an estimate. There are several schools with an artificial field that's only used for practice or JV games, like a few of those in Wichita. Every school in Wichita has turf for at least practice but only four of the schools have a stadium large enough to host a varsity game (Carroll, Heights, Northwest and South). And there are a few places (Andover, Salina, Topeka, Olathe, Shawnee Mission, Pittsburg) where two or more schools share a field

Humboldt just built a new complex with FieldTurf for the football stadium and the infield of the baseball field.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is Katy's coach still the same guy Borat interviewed a few years ago? He tried to work on Borat's thowing mechanics.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Stuff I learned Friday night......

1) You cannot be an effective option team if your quarterback is slow, white and prone to fumbling pitchout.

2) Wake Forest does just about everything ass-backwards (including failing to get ANY points from first-and-goal at the 3). Four wins this season will be a major accomplishment.

3) Sideline reporter Alison Williams is hot.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So Boston College equals last season's win total (2). Bring on USC, Florida State and Clemson in the next four weeks (with a game vs. Army mixed in for fun).

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Apparently one of the talking heads on ESPN tabbed the WAZZU-USC game as an upset special. I wouldn't mind that. Last time the Cougs and Trojans met in the second game of the year: 1997.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I wound up taking Cincy and Bowling Green.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Looking forward to South Carolina/Georgia. Texas at BYU should be pretty good. Notre Dame Michigan not so much.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Miami looking strong early. Gators not so much. 14-6.

Since when did Muschamp channel the 2-point stupidity of Kiffin?

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Time for Florida to try somebody new at QB? That last pick was horrendous.

Draft saved Draft deleted