1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 14 (Rivalry Week) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The missing Ohio State football player was found dead from an apparent suicide:

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/11/kosta_karageorge_ohio_state.html#incart_related_stories

2. sportbook

sportbook Member

The flip side of that is the 11th-best team in the SEC played FSU pretty much straight up in Tallahassee and Louisville barely escaped the 13th-best team in the SEC.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, let's just say Bama, Oregon and FSU all go down this weekend--now who's your four? TCU, Baylor, Ohio State and who else?

Then, let's say Ohio State and Baylor also lose. Now who?

Can't see it happening, but that would be absolutely beautiful to watch the chaos unfold and then all the posturing and arguing up to and after the four nominees emerge.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I can't see the conference title games lasting much longer if they're going to keep, possibly expand, the playoffs.

You have Oregon, which is clearly one of the 4 best teams in the country, which proved itself over 12 games, possibly losing its spot in the semifinals because of a loss in the conference title game. Same with Alabama or Florida State or Ohio State.

The playoff threw a strange wrench into the equation.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK: Let's say Wisky beats Ohio State.......TCU wins......Baylor wins........

Your new final 4 is now.......

Alabama, Florida State, Oregon and A. Baylor or B. TCU?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've been saying for weeks that the committee would eventually "make the correction" and put Baylor ahead of TCU based on head-to-head, but I'm not so sure now.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Beating K-State would be huge. I'm not sure how much data the committee uses, but that's going to boost Baylor's SOS a great deal.

Could be what they've been waiting on, seeing how they handle equal schedules.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If Baylor wins on Saturday, they'll pass TCU based on head-to-head, which makes Baylor the conference champion even if the Big 12 calls them a co-champ. Long has said repeatedly the conference champion component won't be considered until the final ranking.

Whether that keeps them ahead of Ohio State - assuming they win - is a completely different discussion.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a way you can keep Baylor out of the Final 4......assuming Wisconsin beats Ohio State.

Draft saved Draft deleted