1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 14, in which Oregon sacrifices Rick Neuheisel at the altar

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 29, 2011.

1. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Exactly and there was this:

In 2006, Michigan was No. 2 and lost to top-ranked Ohio State in their season finale. The Wolverines stayed at No. 2 even after the loss. USC beat Notre Dame and jumped the Wolverines but of course the Trojans lost to UCLA, Florida wins the SEC title and Urban Meyer politics for the No. 4 Gators to go over No. 3 Michigan because it was not a champion of its league.

Alabama seemingly could be in the same situation or it could be worse this year because if Georgia wins you could have two teams that are not league champions - Bama and LSU - play for the national title. Should Oklahoma State win it would seemingly be the Florida of 2006, but I'm guessing there is almost no chance the Cowboys surpass the idle Crimson Tide.

Nonetheless, Bama should be rooting for LSU big time this week.

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Can someone explain this to me... In the VERY off chance that Georgia wins, how can Alabama and LSU play each other? Don't the BCS rules say that a conference can't send more than two teams from one conference? With Georgia getting the automatic berth, wouldn't that make LSU vs Alabama impossible?

3. mb

mb Active Member

Actually, if Georgia wins and LSU/Bama are 1-2 in the BCS, the SEC is allowed 3 teams.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/aggies/2011/11/aggies-athletics-cfo-admits-to-calling-am-president-putz/

COLLEGE STATION – The chief financial officer of Texas A&M’s athletics department admitted Tuesday afternoon that he has criticized A&M president R. Bowen Loftin and called him names under an alias on the popular website TexAgs.com.

Jeff Toole, who also serves as the school’s senior associate athletic director, described Loftin as a “putz” and a “hopelessly underqualified puppet” over the summer under the alias UtayAg.

Toole was outed Tuesday on the website by a poster dubbed “iPanic” who searched UtayAg’s posting history, and found one from more than a year ago where UtayAg identified himself as the CFO of A&M athletics.

“I was posting what I thought was an anonymous opinion,” Toole said Tuesday afternoon, adding of his prior admittance of his job as A&M athletics CFO under the UtayAg handle, “That slipped my mind.”

Toole, Texas A&M Class of 1980, said he posted on the site as a “fan and donor.”

On Oct. 1 on the subject of coach Mike Sherman’s contract, Toole posted, “I have to admit that the stupidity on this board always brings me back to the point that I know I’m not the dumbest Mf’er out there.”

Loftin’s office could not be immediately reached. More details to come as this story unfolds today.

This why aTm is aTm.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jeff Toole. That sounds about right.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Going off the final regular-season AP poll in 2006, Florida had beaten No. 4 LSU, No. 12 Arkansas, No. 17 Tennessee and Georgia, which led the others receiving votes category. Michigan had beaten No. 6 Wisconsin and No. 11 Notre Dame.

And while Michigan had the "better loss," Florida's loss wasn't so bad, coming at Auburn.

It's tough for me not to include what we found out about the Big Ten that year in bowl games as I say this, but I feel fairly confident the BCS did the right thing in that one.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

LSU has two pretty good quarterbacks, four outstanding running backs, at least three excellent wide receivers, solid depth along both lines and more defensive backs than you could possibly know what to do with.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The nature of Okie State's loss eliminates all argument as to their worthiness, at least in a hair-splitting decision such as this one.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. I thought he was a terrible hire and he's proving me wrong.

10. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Wasn't aware of that, thanks, I thought it was a hard and fast rule of only two teams.

11. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

You mean losing to lowly Iowa State?

Actually I think Alabama is still the best team in the country and have no problem with a rematch this year. Pretty tough to drop the Crimson Tide no matter how much Oklahoma State pounds Oklahoma. LSU and Alabama were almost universally thought to be 1-2 when they played. Some folks will hate the rematch but that's how it played out. Until we get playoffs there is not much choice.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Not only that, LSU's won national championships before. What would separate this season from the other recent championships is the chance to go unbeaten and win it without controversy. The 2003 team had the split title with USC. The 2007 team had two losses and all the controversy around that.

This team has a chance to go 14-0 and be the unquestioned best team in school history (trumping the Billy Cannon 58 team through its tougher schedule). If it loses to Georgia, even if it wins the BCS title, it'll sort of have that "they didn't win their own conference" asterisk sort of in the same way the 03 and 07 teams have their little controversies.

Draft saved Draft deleted