1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 13 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

God there are some crap games this week … Alabama plays Chattanooga, Florida State plays Idaho, Clemson plays The Citadel, South Carolina plays Coastal Carolina ... Auburn has an open date.

Ohio State actually plays a conference game, but it’s against Indiana.

So needless to say, don’t look for a major BCS shake-up this week. Baylor is the only national-title contender that’s playing a good team.

Here’s the best of what’s left …

Wednesday

Northern Illinois (-2.5) at Toledo, 8 p.m., ESPN2

Thursday

Rutgers (+17) at UCF, 7:30 p.m., ESPN

Saturday

Oklahoma (+4) at Kansas State, noon, Fox Sports 1

Oregon (-19) at Arizona, 3:30 p.m., ABC/ESPN2

Texas A&M (+4) at LSU, 3:30 p.m, CBS

Wisconsin (-16) at Minnesota, 3:30 p.m., ESPN

BYU (-1) at Notre Dame, 3:30 p.m., NBC

Arizona State (-2.5) at UCLA, 7 p.m., Fox

Missouri (-3) at Ole Miss, 7:45 p.m., ESPN

Baylor (-9) at Oklahoma State, 8 p.m., ABC

Washington at Oregon State, 10:30 p.m., ESPN2 --- no line, due to Keith Price’s shoulder injury

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I've thought "Boy, that Wisconsin line seems awful high" a couple times this year, and they just keep covering. I'm slightly surprised to see then as 16-point favorites on the road against a much-improved Minnesota team. But I guess I probably shouldn't be, based on past evidence.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If you get 9 points, take Ok State and thank me later.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I agree about Ok St. I think they beat Baylor. And the Northern Illinois line seems awfully low. Keep betting on Wiscy and keep winning.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's sort of the calm before the storm for most teams. The following week, you get Alabama-Auburn, Florida-FSU, Clemson-South Carolina, Ohio State-Michigan, USC-UCLA and some other traditional rivalry games.

I expect Oklahoma State (at home) to beat Baylor. But the teams might combine to score 100.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Central Florida having that much trouble with Temple makes Rutgers +17 a little tempting, even on the road.

And the way Duke is playing, -5.5 at Wake has the sound of easy money.

7. amraeder

I'm not sure what people are seeing in Oklahoma State that they're so excited about. I don't really see anything I think they do better than Baylor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Baylor isn't the same on the road. Ok State is the best team they've played so far. I'm not sure the Pokes win, but it'll be close.

9. amraeder

Well, time will tell. Baylor's played startlingly few road games so far this year, so maybe. But I'm a little loathe to read a 10-point win over Kansas State as bad on the road. And maybe OSU is the best team they've played all year. But I don't necessarily see them as significantly better than some of the other teams Baylor's played. I mean, they DID lose to a stunningly incompetent West Virginia team.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I go the other way. Doubtful they are going to play lousy on back-to-back weeks. Played down to Temple and were lucky to escape with a win. But they have a LOT to play for. Like the most in school history. Like a real BCS bowl spot. I expect O'Leary to have them focused and ready to go.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Big Ten games, with lines:

Michigan (+6) at Iowa, noon EST, BTN. I know UM's been struggling lately, but even as a Hawkeye alumnus, I wouldn't bet against Big Blue.

Illinois (-7) at Purdue, noon, BTN. Two of the worst BCS-conference teams on one field! I guess the Big Ten Network is contractually obligated to show this one. Yuck.

Michigan St. (-7.5) at Northwestern, noon, ESPN. The snakebit Wildcats are desperate for a win and the Spartans are ripe for an upset. Could happen.

Indiana (+34.5) at Ohio St., 3:30 p.m., ABC. Really? This is the ABC game? There are at least three better choices than this mismatch. Maybe they'll show the OSU band's cool halftime routine instead of Jesse Palmer running his mouth in the studio (wishful thinking).

Wisconsin (-15.5) at Minnesota, 3:30 p.m., ESPN. Wish this was on ABC ... I think it will be much closer than the line indicates.

Nebraska (+1.5) at Penn St., 3:30 p.m., BTN. Huskers playing for bowl position. Lions playing for ... ?

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

FWIW (which aint much), I have Mich. St. and Wisconsin covering. As much as I think Michigan should boat race Iowa, I won't touch that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted