1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 13, in which LSU and Arkansas put a boot in your ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A scandal in Hawaii? NCAA investigators are surely packing their bags now, but it'll probably take several years and hundreds of stakeouts on the beach before it all unravels.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Point-shaving allegations are news anywhere. This will be big if it has legs.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Fuck - I knew there was some reason my late-night Saturday bail-out bets were losing this year.....

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Who was it that got talked out of making a big bet on Hawaii-Idaho?

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Updating. Police now saying "not enough information to investigate."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/11/22/hawaii.point.shaving.ap/index.html

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was stunned to see Alabama favored by 21 points. At home, that would sound about right. The Crimson Tide can cover, sure, but it's not going to be easy. Auburn is not some bottom-feeder. As much as I hate to acknowledge this, the Tigers are the defending national champions with a 7-4 record.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always understood that Notre Dame is guaranteed a BCS spot if it finishes in the top 14. Not only do they qualify, then, but they're automatically in. That's why I wrote that preview sentence.

As far as the sentence about South Carolina, I was half-joking. Well, really, I was stating fact with a mark of disapproval but only doing so to prod at the natives of the state. If you can't mock South Carolina on it, what's the point of the Internet?

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Big difference between preparing for an FCS opponent a week ahead of your biggest rival and preparing for a BCS opponent that actually is a rival.

Not saying Tech won't gain yards. Am saying Georgia's defense is way better than last year and that Tech's offense isn't exactly unstoppable.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Those who've been watching them this year know how good they are, probably the most underrated team in the Top 25. Both of their losses were because of wild hail mary prayers in the final seconds. And those are the only two close games they've had all year, they've smashed everybody else. I don't expect this Penn State game to even be close.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think they're "guaranteed" if they're in the top 8, but merely "qualified" if they're in the top 14.

And I agree that I don't see Alabama covering at Auburn. They've only won big down there once, and that was in 2001, when Auburn's best player (Cadillac Williams) broke his collarbone on the third play of the game.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Most underrated team? Do you even watch the games? They lost to MSU after having a 14-0 lead and lost to an Ohio State team that just lost to Penn State (and whose quarterback had 87 yards passing). If a team is that good, how do you lose close games at the end two straight weeks?

Just because Wisconsin puts up 60 points on some team from the Dakotas, they are underrated? I don't get that logic. Bielema runs up the score on purpose. It's how Wisconsin made the Rose Bowl last season to begin with, even though they shouldn't have. As Bielema would say, "It's in the coach's handbook." Their only real impressive win was against Nebraska, and I believe that was their only victory against a team in the Top 25.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Steak is correct w/ the Top 8 / 14. It's also going to take a LOT for them to hit the top 14, even with a Stanford win. They're only 22nd in the current BCS ranking, highest "human poll" is 23rd (Harris) and only 3 of the 6 computer rankings have them in their top 25 at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted