1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 12 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 11, 2013.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Can't help but root for Briles. How many other Top 25 coaches have "high school head coach" on their resumes?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Auburn's Gus Malzahn and Ole Miss' Hugh Freeze are two others (though Freeze's team is not currently in the Top 25, it has been this year). It's becoming more and more common, actually.

And look for Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris, who was coaching in high school as recently as 2009, to get a big job pretty soon.

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I doubt Mizzou or SC goes to the Cotton Bowl. Since going to the current SEC vs Big 12 format, Tennessee is the only SEC East team that has ever been selected by the Cotton Bowl. If Auburn beats UGA and loses to 'Bama, I would suggest that they are a pretty safe bet for Arlington. Due to relative proximity to DFW, I would suggest that Mizzou is much more likely to go to the Cotton Bowl than SC. I don't think South Carolina will really be on the Cotton Bowl's radar at all.

Traditionally, it seems like the Outback Bowl gets the top of what's left over from the East after the BCS and Capital 1 bowls pick, while the Cotton gets top pick from West after those games.

I would bet on Mizzou being in the Outback or Chick Fil A if they don't win the SEC.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If they win their last two games and then lose the SEC championship, Mizzou would seem a lock for the Sugar. They'll be somewhere between 6 and 10 in the rankings and there is no other viable SEC team to swoop in ahead of them for the second BCS spot the conference always gets.

5. Steak Snabler

Auburn?

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The New York Times did a nice piece on Briles and the impact he had on Stephenville High School.
    http://nyti.ms/18xvjUH

7. Steak Snabler

Interestingly enough (but probably not coincidentally), the aforementioned Chad Morris also coached at Stephenville.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I suppose, but why would they at 10-2 (and ranked lower by then) be a better choice than Mizzou at 11-2? They could lose to Georgia too and remove themselves from the running entirely.

This is what happened in 2007, Kansas by not playing got to snake its way into the Orange while Mizzou was busy with the conference championship game, so it wouldn't be all that surprising if it happened again. But I do think Mizzou would sell the shit out of that game and would be a pretty attractive choice.

9. Steak Snabler

Depends on which one plays better against Alabama, I guess.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If Auburn upsets Alabama but still doesn't win the SEC west, then yeah.

I think the top four in the SEC west are better than anyone in the east right now. Missouri had everything break right for it: toughest games at home, catch Georgia at the best possible time, no games with LSU, Alabama or Auburn, SC, Georgia, Florida and Tennessee all doing worse than expected. They won't find a better scenario to stake their claim.

One of the TV analysts said Missouri was shifting more of its recruiting efforts away from Texas and toward Florida and the southeast. So, if that's the case, maybe they would prefer the Capital One, Outback, Gator or Chik-Fil-A bowls to the Cotton Bowl. Besides, the Cotton Bowl would mean a match against a recent Big XII rival and I'm not sure that's what they want this soon.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I would laugh if Missouri went 11-1 then lost the SEC championship game and Auburn took the Sugar Bowl bid. It just seems right.

12. Steak Snabler

Let's say Alabama beats Auburn by a field goal, then blows out Mizzou. Auburn is 10-2, Mizzou 11-2.

I think the Sugar takes Auburn.

Draft saved Draft deleted