1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 12 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 11, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Arizona State is quietly having a very nice season.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, they are. Still have games against UCLA and Arizona that will sort of determine how it gets remembered. They could be anywhere from the Rose Bowl to the Las Vegas Bowl.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But this is a lot better than they have been in the past. Not since Jake the Snake have they been this competitive.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, they went 10-2 in 2007 and should have gone to a BCS bowl that year under Dennis Erickson. I remember because when they got passed over and went to the Holiday Bowl instead, it messed up the pecking order for the rest of the Pac-10 teams. I was working in the region at the time and had to reshuffle my entire bowl lineup to accommodate that change.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

10-year extension for Art Briles.

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/football/baylor-gives-briles--year-extension/article_f0cca448-58ca-5ec9-877e-0791340e8f9a.html

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Now Adidas jumps into the ridiculous stars/stripes jersey.
    Northern Illinois tops tonight have the Stars of the American Flag on one shoulder, and the Stripes of the American Flag on the other shoulder, then HEROES across the back of the jersey where their last name would go.
    Enough.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good for him. He seems like a good guy. Reminds me of a high school coach I played for long time ago.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm happy for him, too. Covered him when he was at Houston and as D-I college football coaches go, he was a heck of a good dude.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This isn't really Week 12 related, but what the heck has happened to the Southern Miss program?

10. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

When I think ASU since Plummer, I think of a team that folds when the stakes are high. They had USC at home, on Thanksgiving night, in front of ESPN and the entire nation, riding a 9-1 record. In typical Sparky style, they just got dismantled by three touchdowns. Even in an insane season like 2007, their argument for making a BCS game after that implosion wasn't a strong one.

11. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Within the last month, somebody on here went into painstaking detail re: Southern Miss. In a nutshell, Larry Fedora did not recruit worth a lick in the final years before he bolted to UNC, and the guy who coached them in 2012 was just a disaster.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think they'll beat the Beavs, though I'm not sold on 13.5 for the line.
    Pac-12 has a couple of intriguing games this week with UW/UCLA and Stanford/USC. OSU at ASU should be pretty good as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted