1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 12 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 11, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You guys still hanging your hat on breaking that long SEC losing streak against ... Arkansas?
    It's not an issue of whether Ohio State is undefeated. It's an issue of whether they're better than the other undefeated teams. And right now, would they beat Alabama, FSU or Baylor?
    By the way, I wouldn't advise you Buckeye fans to pencil in Sparty as a W in the Big championship game.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Yep. If Halliday plays like he did on Saturday, Cougs could easily end up with six wins, if not seven. I don't know if six wins will get a bowl, simply because so many Pac-12 teams have already reached that level or will before the season is done.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

There is no way to definitely say whether or not they would beat Alabama, FSU or Baylor until/unless they play. Because of that, they have as good a case as anyone else. So does Baylor. You win your games. That's all you can do as a player or coach.

Now, if you want to discuss non-conference schedules and such, that's a different debate. But I suspect you understand these things often are set years in advance. I doubt Urban Meyer had any input into OSU's schedule for 2013. They still have Michigan and (possibly) Michigan State to play. They've already beaten Wisconsin and Penn State. Who else do you want them to play? And, no it doesn't make any difference if you beat Illinois 60-35 or 59-3.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Nope. Not "hanging my hat" on anything. Nor (like most) am I pretending it didn't happen. Haven't penciled anything yet, either. Michigan State is a very good team, no question they are fully capable of beating Ohio State. Willing to take my chances with Meyer, when it comes to big games, though.

I fully understand what the issue is. I have no more HONEST clue than anyone else, who'd win those match ups. It's just a bit frustrating that Ohio State get's no benefit of the doubt & seems to be the one team that consistently needs to somehow "prove" they at least belong in the discussion.

Best example is Baylor. I love Baylor. Excellent team, tons of fun to watch. Have rooted for Baylor all season. But what have they really done, in comparison to Ohio State, to go shooting past them. Strength of Schedule? Depends on which ranking you look at, but it's 50/50. Best win? Sorry, I'll take Wisconsin over Oklahoma or Texas Tech (I'll change my tune, if the beat Okie State). Better coaching? Cooler uniforms? Or, are they just a cool story, that's more fun to talk about?

Again, I don't think Ohio State (or Baylor) is one of the 2 best in the land. I just find the narrative that has popped up in regards to them to be.....silly.

Draft saved Draft deleted