1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 12 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 10, 2014.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Oregon over Florida St. is a head-scratcher for me, too ... and not just because the Seminoles are unbeaten.

Nobody has a better nonconference schedule than FSU: two Power 5 teams, plus Notre Dame. And while the ACC isn't as tough a league as the SEC, Pac-12 or Big 12, at least Florida State's in the tougher division.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And I was wrong about Arizona State ... they lost at home by 5 touchdowns, not 4.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's a real thirst for de facto extensions of the playoff ... we've heard it for weeks now about "elimination games."

The Pac-12 championship will package up very nicely as one of those. But yes, you are correct, giving up 62 points to that UCLA team should be a disqualifier.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK. Let's adjust my earlier statement.....

Let's say Alabama beats Mississippi State......but loses to Auburn.

How does Oregon, Florida State, TCU and Baylor go over?

I think Baylor gets in over Arizona State in that scenario.

Imagine a Oregon-Baylor title game. Defensive-minded heads would explode. Offensive-minded heads would beat off for weeks.

5. LongTimeListener

There wouldn't be a scenario. Oregon and Arizona State are going to play a knockout game in the Pac-12 championship.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yep. Forgot about Pac 12 title game.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

FSU might win out and finish outside the top four because of "the eye test" and other "make up shit as we go along" standards.

If the Seminoles lose they will fall to 14th.

8. LongTimeListener

The only way FSU goes undefeated and misses the top four is if Winston is ineligible.

About a 2-1 shot, then.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

BUT WHAT IF......[head explodes].

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Ole Miss and Florida State agree to play on Labor Day 2016 in Orlando.

Just another SEC team looking to pad its W-L record with an OOC cupcake. :D

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

It could be the committee sees Oregon was vulnerable when most of the O-line was injured. Even then, they pulled out the win in Pullman (with a large tip of the hat to the zebras) and seemed to have the Arizona game won if not for a questionable penalty that gave the Wildcats an unexpected new lease on life. Since those two games, Oregon has been back to better health and handily taken care of UCLA, Stanford and Utah. Plus they have the best college football player in Mariota, IMO.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Many members of the committee are college sports administrators, like Oliver Luck. They can't be happy with the Florida State program as a program this year, what with those front page stories in the Times and all. Some of that unhappiness may be leaking into their appraisal of Florida State the football team.

Draft saved Draft deleted