1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 12: This won't be the first time Kenjon Barner burns trees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 12, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not feeling particularly great about this week.

Clemson -16.5 vs. NC State. Clemson rolling.
    Vandy -4 vs. Tennessee. Will Dooley ever get fired?
    Kansas State -13 at Baylor. Tired of betting against KSU and losing.
    Mizzou -5 vs. Syracuse. Cuse due for a letdown after last week.
    Marshall -3 vs. Houston. Houston blows.
    UCLA +3.5 vs. USC. Gotta take a dog. This seems good.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not taking the bait on Stanford, +24?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

It's down to 20.5. I'm debating.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Vegas must not have seen much action at 24. Heed the warning sign. I think Stanford gets shithoused.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I once read that betting the favorite in every college game with a spread of 21 or more had like a 70 percent success rate.

6. JackReacher

Oh, they saw action. Lots of money coming in on Stanford, obviously, for the line to fall like that. Smart money, I'm guessing, so now they're just BEGGING you to take Oregon.

Stay-away game for me.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A four-point swing like that might provide some opportunity to middle the game if you jumped on it early.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Or maybe Vegas knows who will play and who won't play on Oregon's beat-up defense and has dropped the line accordingly.

9. JackReacher

What's that mean? Take both sides and hope to win both?

I think I'd need more than a 4-point window to do that, but it's an interesting idea.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's what the pros do, and for less than four points. They'd have people stationed with cell phones at different books and bet both sides on a point or two difference -- all they'd really be betting is the vig so they would be making something like 20-1 on their money. Biggest reason cell phones were banned in the books.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Interesting idea. So all they really risk is the vig, but win double if it comes in between the two spreads, is that the gist of it? Makes a ton of sense if you've got a game with a wildly fluctuating spread like this one.

As an inexperienced ntiwit on this gambling stuff, I'm curious why the cell phones make such a difference.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yes. You'd bet on Stanford early and Oregon late, and hope the final margin is between 20 and 24 points. If Oregon wins by, say, 21, you'd win both bets. If you're trying to do it, four points is damn tempting. It's not often lines swing that much in a week.

The most famous (or infamous, if you worked in Vegas) instance of middling was Super Bowl XIII and, like LTL said, it was far less than four points.
    The line started at Steelers minus-3 1/2. Lots of action came in for the Steelers, so it eventually went up to Steelers minus-4 1/2. At that point, people jumped on the Cowboys. The final score was 35-31, meaning both the early and later lines covered. So, Vegas lost all the early Steelers bets, plus all the late Cowboys bets.
    In Vegas, it's known as "Black Sunday."

Draft saved Draft deleted