1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 10: Sandy knew not to mess with Nick and Les

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Oct 30, 2012.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oh yes I forgot that Boise State whipped Oregon in 2009, the Legarret Blout punch game. Another one of Kelly's finest hours.

Utah was ranked in 2009, mainly, as has been shown since it moved to the Pac-10/12, because of wins over inferior competiton.

Tennessee was a horrible team in 2010.

LSU led by 20 before a meaningless window-dressing TD in the final minute.

I said Oregon was a very good team. USC remains the gold standard on the West Coast. Always has been, probably always will be. And Oregon will be on NCAA probation for major recruiting violations, for the second time in the past eight years, at this time next year.

2. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Carroll's best 'SC team (2004) had to hang on to be beat shitty Stanford, okay Oregon State and mediocre UCLA.

With the exception of the USC game from last year, Oregon hasn't played a conference game decided by single digits in THREE YEARS.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is the type of game that Pitt wins just to annoy its fanbase and make them hand-wring and say "what if..."

That said. Notre Dame by 17.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Utah was ranked because of "wins over inferior competition?" Isn't that sort of how rankings work?

Sorry Chip Kelly is unpleasant to deal with.

USC was the gold standard under Carroll. It hadn't been for years before he arrived, and it hasn't been since. The more I see of Lane Kiffin, the more I wonder who they'll hire to replace him.

And we'll see about the probation. Maybe you're right... but I've been hearing that long enough that I'll believe it when I see it.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oregon won't get probation at least until SC proves it can carry the Left Coast again. Otherwise on a year-in year-out basis there would be no BCS contender west of Oklahoma, and the TV money sure doesn't want that. There's more than enough evidence to have Oregon not only on probation but with the guillotine hanging over its head for one more screw-up.

6. PCLoadLetter

And that evidence would be?

And trust me, I'm not doing a "MY program would never do that" thing. College football is filthy. But what has struck me throughout this investigation is, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of evidence of anything. Oregon gave money to a "scout" that didn't seem to give them anything of value in return. Doesn't look good. So, what do we know happened?

7. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

UCLA and Washington would draw plenty of TV money in place of Oregon on probation/USC sucking. Problem is, Sarkisian still has a lot of work to do and the jury is definitelty out on Mora Jr.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Luckily I don't have to deal with Kelly or asshats of his ilk, who suck up to the national media and treat the locals like crap.

Even in its down years, USC is still the gold standard. It's the program regarded by the public as the best on the West Coast (whether they are or not), just as Alabama has and always will be regarded as the gold standard in the SEC, even in the years it doesn't win the SEC title. It's a reputation earned by decades of excellence, one USC will retain long after asshats like Kiffen are gone.

It's coming. If there was no fire, the NCAA would have wrapped everything up months ago and been done with it. Checks to a street agent without any "recruiting" information in return, hundreds of texts between assistants and said street agent, eight or nine coaches out recruiting at the same time for two or three recruiting cycles ... pretty substantial laundry list.

That said, Oregon probably beats SC on Saturday and could very well run the table. Not sure it gets into the national-championship game over KSU or Notre Dame, though, because of its awful OOC schedule and lack of a win like KSU/ND's over Oklahoma at Oklahoma.

As far as the TV money goes, it comes regardless. Contracts are signed, with more to come as the Pac-12 network grows and when Direct TV finally comes aboard, which it will, because California/Denver/Phoenix/Seattle/Portland is too big a market to not provide a service that Comcast and Dish offer.

9. LongTimeListener

That scout didn't just not give them anything of value. He didn't give them anything, period, until the NCAA told Oregon to produce a document. The document featured dead players and was not a list of the class it was supposed to represent. And also Chip Kelly lied his ass off about even knowing Willie Lyles.

Between that and the many players who curiously started showing up from Texas with a connection to Lyles, it's a slam dunk if the powers take any look at all. But they never look so it's up to Yahoo to get them on probation.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't even think I need to comment on this.

[​IMG]

Nevermind, yes I do. You might have thought Mizzou was done with the embarrassing t-shirts after last spring's "Zou Orleans"/Norfolk State debacle, but no. A t-shirt for beating Kentucky? In football?

S-E-C! S-E-C!

11. PCLoadLetter

So, again... what is the evidence of wrong-doing? Yes, it looks bad. The money to Lyles smells, as do the denials.

The NCAA may well have evidence of something. I don't know, and I will hardly be shocked if there's a punishment down the road. But Yahoo had nothing but evidence of a funny smell, and I haven't seen anything beyond that since.

12. LongTimeListener

But the NCAA doesn't investigate. So people like you can keep saying "no evidence!" But that's only because the NCAA doesn't want to know. It's a silly game but apparently on that fools enough folks about their alma mater.

Draft saved Draft deleted