1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Agreed. And Liberty will jump at the opportunity to join the AAC if offered because it would be gigantic step up from the Atlantic Sun in basketball and other sports. They claim to like the scheduling flexibility, but if you look at their future schedules, they generally have a few P5 games sprinkled in each year and the rest is essentially a mish-mash of the G5 leagues. LU would certainly rather be playing Memphis and Temple in basketball than Bellarmine and North Alabama.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Conversely, for schools that are less geographically isolated I wonder if going independent isn’t a better choice. Look at Southern Miss, which is sinking fast in Conference USA. At a certain point, might they better off having a little more schedule flexibility instead of playing a bunch of misfit schools, most of which their fans don’t give a shit about other than Louisiana Tech and to a lesser extent UAB?

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Everyone was cheering for Milton

I Should Coco and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Heard, for the first time today on a podcast, a clip of Michigan fans singing "Mr. Brightside" and learned that it's their fourth quarter song. Never knew that.
    So how did a song about a guy imagining his girlfriend cheating on him, written by a band from Las Vegas, become a stadium anthem at Michigan?

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I think dead-end programs in the southeast that are hurting for money couldn't do worse than taking a independent plan and playing a bunch of mid-level SEC/ACC schools, mostly on the road and getting those checks, building up some infrastructure and improving the recruiting.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There's something of a respectful rivalry growing between SoMiss and Marshall as well.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

USM would actually do well moving to the Sun Belt, but I think there is too much booster ego getting in the way. Louisiana, South Alabama and Troy are natural rivals for them, and Arkansas State, App State and Georgia Southern can be fun matchups at that level too. Not like they’re willing to invest in basketball anyway, so no need to be snobbish about the downgrade there.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I refuse to use the words respectful and Marshall together in a sentence.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

In the context of G5's with the Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime mentality regarding football, and a history of hanging upsets on the bigger programs, they have a lot in common.

Hermes likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Lots of body bag game checks = lots of losses. It is very hard to build a program when you win 3-5 games a year. Trust me on this.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Oh, let me vent me frustrations with the Thundering Turd and its decade-long declaration that they were far too important to be playing in the MAC!

(Made it all the more fun when my school kept beating them after they left the conference.)

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

I think that once the AAC raids C-USA again there is a legit chance that there is some G5 realignment. It could happen. It would probably be a great move for USM, but I agree that the fans and alumni/boosters are unlikely to go for it unless it is part of a greater realignment at that level.

Draft saved Draft deleted