1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If this score holds up, LSU will be 21-2 in its last 23 season openers and 7-1 since 2010 in these neutral site openers.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ya know, if Professional Hardass and Great Football Man Nick Saban can berate a woman for her innocuous question he can have the balls to get in front of a camera again and apologize for his reaction. You yelled at her in public, go be a man and apologize in the same manner.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The school presidents have to face reality and mandate all games start at 1 or 2 p.m. on Saturday. Best way to build the local fanbase, which is where whatever money a MAC program can generate is . The MAC (or MWC) aren't getting enough money from ESPN to make the weekday November tradeoff worthwhile.

Went to a MWC game on Saturday. Started at 1:30, beautiful weather, great atmosphere in town that morning, at tailgating and during the game. That would not have been the case had CBSSN decreed the game begin at 7 p.m., or even later, which has been the case for several Mountain Division schools. I've read they are really fighting for better kickoff times. Nothing kills a crowd faster than a 7:45 p.m. November game at Air Force, CSU, Wyoming or Utah State. Even Boise can't sell out on a regular basis.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This, according to Dr. Fedora, noted neurologist, is example of what's killing Amurrica.
    (And, yeah, I'm aware of the unfortunate appearance of the chart.)

upload_2018-9-3_0-13-57.png

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

It would be better if instead of watching 3-4 people yap about other games that we probably don't care about, we could just watch the marching band halftime show instead.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Did it appear that the number of people in the stands was close to the announced crowd?

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The one takeaway I had from the Miami-LSU telecast was that if I saw Khalil Mack and Antonio Gates on that damn crawl one more time, that was going to be an ex-TV.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Seen in Reddit CFB: "Texas vs. Kansas, the resistible force meets the movable object."

Physics jokes are the best.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I remember being blasted on here when I said Harbaugh wasn't that great of a coach last year.

Anyone ready to admit that maybe, possibly I was right? That product is a joke for what Michigan is paying him and his staff.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pretty close. Stadium holds 30k, 24K was announced, and I'd say that looked pretty accurate. Lots of people stand along the fences in the end zones.

No revelations here, but the increasingly longer and more frequent TV timeouts are definitely annoying. Some lasted about three minutes. Plus, they wouldn't show replays of controversial plays - which viewers at home see about 10-15 times - on the replay board because the officials don't want them to fire up the crowd. Internet reception was decent, so we could check other scores and beer was affordable ($5 for a 16-ounce macro).

Unless you're very good, programs are really gonna have to upgrade the in-stadium appearance/keep kickoff times convenient to keep selling tickets. Especially in rural states, where much of the fan base has to drive 2-3-4 hours to reach campus, and especially late in the season when the weather starts turning. The South has a long tradition of night football, because of the heat. The NE, Midwest, Mountain states and the West Coast outside of Arizona don't. Too many night games has definitely depressed stadium attendance in those regions, IMHO.

All that said, Saturdays when I can tailgate and go to a game in person are much better than Saturdays spent watching at home when Microville U is on the road. Looking forward to Saturday and the home opener.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    I Should Coco likes this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, because message-board posters cop to being wrong in retrospect so often. ;)

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted