1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 26, 2014.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

So far, so good for the Big 10 at this point ... although the only win even resembling a quality victory at this point is Penn State rallying in Ireland. Or maybe Rutgers beating Wazzu.

Iowa should know better than to schedule UNI; it's the Super Bowl for every Panthers player who wanted to play in Iowa City.

Hawkeyes should have scheduled a better opening-day patsy, like North Dakota State ... :D

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If you're a Virginia fan, are you happy you were competitive in a game where you were supposed to be blown out or are you angry you lost a game you probably should have won?

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My wife is a Virginia fan and at this point she's mainly hoping London doesn't do just enough to keep his job.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why is that a game Virginia "probably should have won"? They were playing from behind the whole way.

5. SnarkShark

Virginia outgained UCLA and UCLA scored on two defensive touchdowns and another on special teams. I thought they should have won. Also held a Heisman favorite to one touchdown.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

They "probably should have" started their best quarterback so they didn't spot UCLA 14 points on INT returns. They probably shouldn't have consulted a fourth-grader for play calling help on their final drive.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah those touchdowns count. And they influence what the UCLA offense does the rest of the game.

The "probably should have won" because they gained more yards is a good argument for middle school.

8. SnarkShark

Sheesh. Take it easy. I watched the game. I thought Virginia should have won. It's OK.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Cal-Northwestern. THIS was the Big Ten I've been expecting to see all year.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Lazy unionized players.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Apparently lightning is striking across the nation, because there's a bunch of delays.

But the weather couldn't bail out the Mountaineers, who botched several key plays with either dropped passes or key penalties and blew a legit chance to upset Alabama in the Georgia Dome.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

London said that the QB misheard the play call and ran the wrong play. Which leads me to ask the following questions:

- Isn't that what happens when you throw your third-stringer into the game?
    - Does it say something about your playcalling that the QB hears a dive call on third-and-8 and doesn't question it?
    - Why is Mike London throwing his third-string quarterback under the bus?

Exhibit 5,768,339 of how London can't handle quarterbacks. If I were Greyson Lambert, I would have marched straight to the locker room, taken my pads off and started contacting other schools. David Watford gets a whole year to shit all over the field and Lambert doesn't even get two quarters to show what he can do?

Draft saved Draft deleted