1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 1 running thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Aug 30, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd buy that, OTR.

And I guess I'll have to do the Mizzou-Illini outlook. With Williams and Benn returning, Illinois' offense is definitely daunting. But Missouri simplified its defense, so it should be better this year; Weatherspoon and Baston are impact players. The key to Mizzou's season is how quickly Gabbert can catch on at QB; he has had a pretty good August. His receiving corps is a big question mark tho.

I think the Illini would be the favorite, but I think Mizzou can win

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I was basing that only on what you said, not on Ragu's original post. I'm just saying it's possible they could be 0-12 again ...

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Indiana winning just one game is a lead-pipe cinch.

Bill Lynch is the reason why you don't make decisions when emotions are running high.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

As a Husky fan I hope not, but it is possible.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I misspoke. Of course, if they win just one game they will be improved. But I think you got what I was trying to say. They have some talent (most returning starters in the Pac 10), better coaching with Sark and at the two most important skill positions, Jake Locker has the potential to be an electric QB and Chris Polk is a decent RB. And they had a couple of heartbreaking losses last year, including that BYU game, in which they got that horrible penalty call and they had the longer PAT attempt blocked, which would have tied it and sent it into OT. If Washington wins 5 to 7 games, after a winless season, I won't be surprised at all--and that is taking into account that from top to bottom, the Pac-10 is one of the most evenly matched conferences and Washington has LSU and Notre Dame on their schedule for non-conference opponents.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm taking Washington to bumrush LSU.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Apparently the Huskies pulled in a very good recruiting class also, not sure how many of those guys will play.

If Locker played to his potential he would be one of the top five QB's in the country.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

For all the credit Jeff Tedford gets as a great coach, California has underachieved the past three years and Tedford has made a mess of the quarterbackiing situation by not sticking with one starter since AR left for the Packers. If he sticks with Kevin Riley, and if he doesn't mess with Riley's head and pulol him every time he makes a mistake or two, as happened the past two seasons, Cal could be quite good.

Locker is a tremendous talent, but he should be playing baseball, or even safety. He has no touch as a passer, and always gets hurt because he's put in dangerous situations far too often and won't run out-of-bounds or avoid unnecessary contact.

Sark may be an upgrade from Ty; he'll certainly be more popular with players, media and fans. But the Pac-10 is a tough league to cut your head-coaching teeth in, something Kelly at Oregon will also discover.

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

It's all about the offensive line for SC. If they finally have one capable of blocking, they could be a pretty good team because there's plenty of young RB talent. If they can't clear holes to run and have to depend on passing, that's not where they want to be right now.

NC State's big finish is a bit of a mirage. In their wins over UNC and Miami they were plus nine in turnovers. Give them credit for good D there, but even playing good D you aren't likely to hit that kind of mark often.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Indiana State at Louisville ... clearly the game of the week.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The Sycamores quest to get to 0-100 continues!

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And the countdown rolls on!

Draft saved Draft deleted