1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football stadiums

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

KU's been renovating Memorial Stadium -- the oldest stadium west of the Mississippi -- for years now. No way that ever gets torn down, with it being right next to Campanile Hill.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Princeton tore down and rebuilt its stadium about five years ago.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Minnesota's was a wonderful story. Sid and the Brotherhood kept beating the drum for a new stadium downtown (The Metrodome); the Gophers moved and the traditionalists lost.
    The Traditionalists tried to get Memorial Stadium declared a historic landmark so it couldn't be torn down. The U, as I recall, had no problem with that; it built the natarorium on what would have been the middle of the field which wasn't protected by historical status. So Memorial Stadium surrounded the pool. Eventually, the stadium came down.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Far, far smaller.

They'd fill Palmer only for Harvard or Yale. Everything else drew flies.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love Georgia's Stadium. I don't doubt they could benefit from adding some luxury boxes, but I'll be said if/when they tear that place down.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

They're not tearing that place down. I think they've expanded since I was in the area, and it seats somewhere in the neighborhood of 100K now.

I'm a Big 12 guy at heart, but believe me when I tell you that nothing... NOTHING comes close to touching SEC football. I've seen games at S. Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Ole Miss... everything else is a distant second. The game at Ole Miss was the only one where I was there as a spectator, and they might just be the nicest people on the planet.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

That's right -- I remember the last game at the old one was a Notre Dame night game, and they had bulldozers and crews ready to go as soon as the place emptied.

I also think -- I could be wrong -- that the capacity went from 80,000 for the old bowl to 45,000 or so for the new one.

8. Mizzougrad96

I still think LSU is the best place in the SEC to see a game.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It's Sanford Stadium DAMMIT!

/ugalooserfanboy

10. Mizzougrad96

The best place in the country to see a college football game is...

Lincoln, Nebraska

That's from someone who hates the Huskers with a passion, but it's incredible atmosphere, and the fans can usually behave, unlike almost anywhere in the SEC.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"I love the smell of bourbon, in the evening . . . "

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'd love to see a game there. If you get extra tickets, look me up. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted