1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football running thread -- Week 2 -- Where are you now Tom Clements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Sep 8, 2009.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I'm not an ACC apologist by any means, but I'm pretty sure Junior Feinstein omitted one of the schools that beat a I-A. (Why I used the plural: I have to presume this was written before Miami-FSU, since clearly both of those teams opened against I-As and we knew going in that one of 'em had to win.)
    Clemson did beat Middle Tennessee State -- which, as a Sun Belt member, is in I-A.

2. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

He did mention Clemson earlier in the column (I saw that omission in the quote, too, and checked it out). I suppose he meant "four other ACC schools..."

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That happens A LOT in his columns. Earlier this summer, he misspelled the names of THREE Nats starting pitchers in the span of like three or four grafs. Not exactly a bad fact, but still shouldn't happen.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that column was published on Sunday or Monday morning (because I read it on Monday), but it would have made sense to acknowledge the yet-to-be-played Miami-FSU game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The FSU-Miami game has nothing to do with my quibble. He said the CAA was 2-0 against the ACC, which is wrong because Boston College beat Northeastern 54-0.

6. JackReacher

Which makes him look even more inept since he actually DID mention the NE-BC game earlier in the column.

That guy is getting harder and harder to read, at least when he writes for the Post.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

implied?

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Are you saying he DIDN'T mention UM-FSU?

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Now that I re-read it, he did mention the UM-FSU game in two graphs, but didn't consider that as part of his argument. I guess one team from a crappy conference beating another team from a crappy conference wouldn't have made any difference in his argument ...

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Also, Steak, my reading comprehension before my first cup of coffee in the morning is terrible, so disregard my comment on your post.

11. JackReacher

So, I'm studying the lines and here's what I've come up with...

Like a lot
    Notre Dame -3.5 at Michigan (my lock of the week)
    LSU -14 at home against Vandy (night game)
    Florida -36 at home against Troy (just 36? Yes, please.)

Like a little
    UNC -4.5 at UConn
    Syracuse +28.5 at Penn State (torn on this one)
    Boston College 20.5 at home against Kent State
    USC -6.5 at Ohio State

Thoughts?

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

With you on both Notre Dame and USC. I wouldn't bank on Syracuse to cover two weeks in a row unless Donnie MacPherson is back taking snaps.

In Week 2 in college, I'd definitely look for the overreaction lines -- the spreads based strictly on what happened four days ago. People who put too much stock in Week 1. I'm guilty of it as well in that I like Vanderbilt +14/+15, Washington -21. I have a feeling some of the disappointing teams from last week (Minnesota, Colorado) will bounce back.

Not Illinois or Wisconsin. Don't trust either coach anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted