1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football preview magazines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Chase, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bought Phil Steele's college and NFL mags for the first time last year and was just overwhelmed with all the stuff in there. Found it really tough to read and all the abbreviations drove me nuts.

I pick up the Lindy's one when I can.

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I like Phil's magazine.

I'm noticing that he always has Oklahoma ranked higher than everyone else does. And he's very pro South Florida.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's really good coverage. And by the time they get up to the top 40 teams, they're going to be more up-to-date with them than any of the magazines.

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

Exactly. Also, a lot of Phil's content is recycled year-to-year. Actually, a majority of it is. Here's the K-State preview this year. Red is repeat from the previous year. Blue is new. That image is from @beyondthebets

[​IMG]

It's all out of date but I do like the charts and things like that. I just enjoy PreSnapRead.com more. I read it every day.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Phil Steele is a nice guy and, yes, by some accounts his predictions have been marginally more accurate than others....BUT I just can't get why people are so smitten with a magazine that contains terrible writing and brain-cramping design.

I'm partial to Athlon, but Lindy's is also good.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I like Athlon, as well.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Here's why I like it ... I'm working on our weekly football preview tab and I need a quick fact - where Southern Miss plays in the fourth week of the season, whether the fourth-leading tackler in the SEC is a DB on an LB, the score of last year's Arkansas-LSU game. I really don't read much of it at all, but I like having it as a reference.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Another vote for Athlon's. We don;t get a huge variety here in Canuckistan - only the national mags, no regional stuff - but I usually wait until I am on vacay in the US and pick up either the Southeast regional issue if I am down south or the Pac-10 one if I am in Cali.

Will be passing on Phil Steele from now on.

9. jr/shotglass

I'm finding it difficult to buy that, Simon. A number of those red sections are stuff like the individual position previews. How can that be from the year before? Players change.

Steele's forecast -- again, how can he use a 2010 forecast as the 2011 forecast?

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I don't get money from any of them, but my must-haves:

1. Lindy's
    2. Steele's
    3. Athlon's.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The approx. first half of the opening text comprising the K-State forecast is a multi-year look back, apparently to provide prospective. The subsequent (equal in length) portion covers LY, in depth. Only the final two sentences provide literal '12 outlook.

12. jr/shotglass

Ahhhhhh. Thanks. Never should doubt Simon anyway. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted