1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Playoff Rankings Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yet. Criteria likely to change as season goes on.

2. sportbook

sportbook Member

LSU's mediocre? Maybe early in the year because of all of the freshmen but that team is better than mediocre. As for playing a "bad" game, there defense was dominant against Ole Miss, as was their running game.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

SEC Champ
    FSU/Big 12 champ
    Pac 12 champ/Notre Dame
    SEC 2 or one of the above.

An FSU loss and ND losing to two or more games the rest of the way really will undermine FSU.
    K State or TCU will stay in the discussion.
    Notre Dame beating ASU and USC hurts the Pac 12 champs chances. ND would be 3-0 against the Pac-12.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I like KSU, but their schedule is brutal. All of the matchups with other top conference teams are on the road.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh.

So Wisconsin lost to a mediocre team, which was a blight against the Big Ten, but Mississippi State beat a good team and Ole Miss lost to a very good team. And all three of those teams were LSU. That makes tons and tons and tons of sense. Thanks!

#VortexOfDomination

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

not to mention the horrid Gators would have beaten LSU if a senior tight end had caught a wide-open 2-yard pass. How good would LSU have been in that case?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I made a similar point a few weeks ago. Wisconsin got dinged for choking against a mediocre team and Mississippi State got a signature win but they both played the same team.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You guys should probably take this up with the Playoff Selection committee, since they put 3 SEC teams in the top 4, 4 in the top 6 and 5 in the top 11.

And with Archie Manning's departure, there's only one SEC person on the committee now.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Notre Dame will be one of the 4 if it wins out, what with its entire schedule made up of D-I teams and a win against Florida State.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Seems pretty close to being in line with the AP and USA Today poll.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

They're improved from the beginning of the season, but they're not that good. And they should have won that game by double digits. At this point, Oregon and Notre Dame have a better claim to the 4 spot than Ole Miss.

And yes, I realize that either Ole Miss or Bama is dropping out after this week.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

From 10? Don't see it unless Michigan State, TCU/Kansas State, Oregon and at least two of the SEC teams all lose again.

Yeah, Notre Dame has played an "all-Division I schedule," but it's a shit all-Division I schedule. No one they've beaten so far has fewer than three losses.

And if Florida State blows Louisville's doors off and USC finishes with 5 losses, how's that going to help Notre Dame?

Draft saved Draft deleted