1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 26, 2014.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Two names you'll be hearing a lot about during Tennessee games: Kahlil McKenzie and Alvin Kamara, with Shy Tuttle making some waves as well.

If CFB had a one-and-done, McKenzie (son of Reggie) would be the most sure-bet to leave early.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

OU usually wins those games, but perhaps not this time.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

SEC media days ... oh my, what not-so-pleasant memories those revive. Your humble correspondent did a handful of those back when they were held in downtown Birmingham. Will never forget my last one, when I'd been assigned the Auburn beat the week before. News broke at the media days that the starting quarterback had been brought up on plagiarism charges in a summer school course, jeopardizing his eligibility. Oh, and a handful of recruits hadn't shown because they hadn't qualified academically. And I was supposed to track all this down without knowing a soul at Auburn. It was then that this thought -- "You know, I don't know how much more of this shit I'm going to put up with" -- crossed my mind.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've been bullish on Tennessee this year, having picked them to win the SEC East in a public forum more than once. But that's partly because I have no faith in Georgia.

However, I think Tennessee will be a darkhorse national title contender in 2016. Those back-to-back top 10 recruiting classes in 2014 and 2015 will be coming into their own then.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think the jury is still out on Butch Jones' in-game coaching abilities; from this Vol fanboi's perspective, there have been some minor warning flags, but time will tell. Not to mention, had he started Joshua Dobbs earlier than he did, UT would have beaten at least Florida.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That spread offense still bugs the crap out of me. Every time Jalen Hurd takes a handoff from the QB, he's starting from an upright position with no momentum toward the line. Just don't like it.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That, incidentally, was a damn good Auburn team.

8. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

What team was that? Who was the QB?

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1987. Jeff Burger. He also got caught with a gun under the seat of his car.

Pat Dye said he "would not start" the next game. Reggie Slack took the first snap and Burger came in the game for the second play and played the remainder of the game.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The Georgia fanboy in me wants to give you hell for having no faith in the Dawgs. "But Nick Chubb!" he would say.

That same Georgia fanboy has seen enough Richt bed-shittings to know you are absolutely right. Also, Tennessee's apparent rebirth is a point of real concern. Several teams, especially Georgia, have barely skated by the Vols the past two years. If someone were to pencil them in at the top of the East, I'd have a hard time arguing.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is there a betting pool on the number of questions Bob Holt will ask at SEC Media Days this year?

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted