1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Troll hard, Johnny Football, troll hard...

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/07/johnny-manziel-kicked-out-of-frat-party-in-austin/

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I thought the Longhorns didn't scare easily.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He shows up at a daytime frat party in Austin wearing a Tebow jersey.
    Then goes to another frat party that night in Austin.
    He's lucky they didn't let him in, then kick the living shit out of him.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Would have been funnier if he was wearing a Manziel jersey ...

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Frat parties in July? Has rush already started at UT?

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/07/28/alabama-dee-liner-cash-photo/

Dang. He must have been working some extra hours at Taco Bell during the offseason.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Frat parties are like football. There is no off-season.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Typical JM. Bitches at the SEC Media Days about being under the microscope, then does something absolutely, positively guaranteed to get attention ... like crash two frat parties at your arch-rival school. He's an attention whore, pure and simple.
    And, one twitter photo showed him with a can of Keystone Light. Before the pack starts braying, yes I know college kids drink under-aged (JM isn't 21 until December). But with all the focus on him (of his own doing), he's pretty much in everyone's face with the drinking, and apparently faces no consequences from a legal standpoint or a team rules violation standpoint. I'm pretty sure Kevin Sumlin has a rule that under-age kids on his team can't break the law about under-age drinking.
    Or does he? And if so, does it not apply to JM?
    College kids drink. They drink under-aged. But most try not to get caught. Johnny "Look at Me" hoists a beer at the age of 20 in front of 100 cell phone cameras that he knows are firing off and pretty much says "your rules and laws do not apply to me."

PS: He should be suspended for two games for drinking Keystone Light.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This. Manziel knew going to frat parties at UT would cause trouble and he did it anyway. Bad things can happen. Just ask Reggie Love about his experience at a UNC frat party.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This board has surprisingly less and less commentary on hard news, such as what I posted a few days ago.
    Instead though, we'll do six or eight pages of posts on sexual topics or Manziel hogwash or other post-padding ventures.
    But, that's what media has morphed into being in many instances for our electronic age.
    Piggy-backs and pile-ons, in place of good investigative work.
    I praise the ones of you who still will turn in good copy.
    Last I looked, there were less than 10 posts, total, on JJ Cale dying the other day.
    Maybe if he'd died in a whorehouse he'd have gotten more play.

Again, here is a topic that is hard news. Anybody in the know around here that thinks this is valid?
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/22846958/bowlsby-attacks-ncaa-suggest-division-4-football-is-possible

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Who made you the Pope of this dump?
    Maybe we want to talk about stuff that everyone else is talking about. J.J. Cale died. OK. Good musician. Wrote a few hit songs.
    There. What's left to discuss?
    And the last thing anyone wants to spend any more time they they absolutely have to is NCAA bullshit. And what the hell do you mean by "good copy?" We deal with anal editors enough without having to get the same song and dance here.

12. jpetrie18

jpetrie18 Member

Agreed. More than a little self-righteous there.

Like it or not, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner is news. Especially when he's doing things a lot of people consider selfish, moronic and hypocritical. Me? I think he's being a 20-year-old college kid...which often means doing things selfish, moronic and hypocritical.

Draft saved Draft deleted