1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football offseason running thread: Nick Saban back on top (financially)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Nick Saban back on top (financially)

I think it was just 10 years ago that there were all of two college football coaches making $2 million a year, Spurrier was the first, and Stoops was the second.

I wonder how many there are now.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Done

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Alabama will win a lot of titles in the next few years. I still think Smart is the next HFC at Bama though.

4. Steak Snabler

Assuming Saban stays for even half of what is left on his contract, Smart will be long gone by then. He's biding his time until Georgia gets tired of Mark Richt.

5. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Quite possible. Although I have to think Saban has told him if he's there when he retires, the job is his. I also don't think Saban will coach past 2015.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Jim Mora says, "hi neighbor."

http://usc.ocregister.com/2012/03/26/kiffin-and-mora-neighbors/106344/

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because all those titles are legit... even the ones awarded 20 years after the season's completion...

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was mocking it at first, but I kind of like this Jim L. Mora hiring the more I think about it. And this is perfect.

9. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Counting the Rose Bowl wins are pretty legit. Those are two of the most legit awards, actually. It's the '41 title, '73 title and the '64 title that aren't all that impressive. Really, though, it's almost a wash...because Bama was robbed of two titles. '66, '75 and '77 are all years where Bama should have been national champs. (As the NCAA lists them as champions).

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

'45 as well. '41 is the only one that is pretty much indefensible.

11. Steak Snabler

I don't wanna get into a whole thing here, but the 1966 Alabama title claim is kinda iffy, despite what Keith Dunnavant and his ilk would have you believe. Alabama left the state twice that year during the regular season, once to play Ole Miss in Jackson and once to play Tennessee in Knoxville. Every other game was in Birmingham or Tuscaloosa.

That said, they were the only unbeaten, untied Division I team that year and were two-time defending national champs. You'd think they would have gotten the benefit of the doubt, but by that time a lot of AP voters (led by a Molotov cocktail flinging Jim Murray) had decided they were no longer going to vote for segregated teams to win the national championship (and I can't say I blame them).

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think the way Bama won the two years before that frustrated a lot of people. In 64, the last poll was before the bowl games and Alabama was No. 1. Then Texas stops Joe Namath on the goal line at the Cotton Bowl and controversy ensues.

Next year, AP takes a vote after the bowls for the first time. Alabama enters New Years Day with a loss and a tie, but has all the dominos fall just right in all the other games and beats Nebraska in the Orange to win the title. And that before accounting foe the George Wallace-Bull Connor factor.

Draft saved Draft deleted