1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football coaches going to the NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DisembodiedOwlHead, Jan 8, 2007.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

This is worth discussion in the light of Saban/Petrino ...

We know the NFL books are littered with the failed college-to-pro guys (Holtz, Spurrier, Kush, Saban, etc.) ...

But who has really succeeded?

I did a cursory look and here are the only three guys who I think are known as much/more for college coaching who have actually made a Super Bowl:

Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer (with a long layoff from OU) and Bobby Ross.

Others who actually succeeded? Does Tom Coughlin count?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don Coryell jumps to mind.

Edit: Dick Vermeil too. He was at UCLA before the Eagles.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Since I've been following football seriously, the thinking has been that the NFL and College are different games. I think this has been borne out by the lack of success the aforementioned coaches have had.

Anyone else think that Johnson, and then because of Johnson, Switzer were able to succeed because of the way Johnson worked over the Vikings in the Herschel Walker trade? It seemed to me the Cowboys came out so far ahead in that deal it set up his coaching career. He had success at Miami in a second stint, but in no way close to what he acheived with the Cowboys.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

GBHack, I think it speaks a great deal that nobody in the free-agency, salary cap era has pulled it off. Dallas could afford to spend on a ton of great players in the Johnson/Switzer era.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

DOH, Johnson came in at the tail end of the Plan B era. Drafting still was a big deal, then. If you wanted anyone very good in the free agent market, you gave up five draft picks.

Switzer was a success in the NFL? With Jimmay's players, he was.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Cowboys aren't exactly going to give up that Lombardi Trophy anytime soon. Successful enough one season.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I seem to recall they won that Super Bowl mostly because Neil O'Donnell handed it to them on a platter.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That, and the Cowboys jumped out early when the Steelers played scared. Just saying that Switzer was successful enough for his team and owner's liking for one season, nothing more.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That was what I was implying in my original post. Barry had a stocked cupboard when he got there, thanks to a great extent to the Walker deal. The lack of a salary cap was also helpful, as it was to Bill Walsh [Stanford] when he coached the 49ers.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Switzer's teams did deal with the cap, although the way Jerry backloaded the deals, it barely existed.
    Bill Walsh's teams were built in an era of little player movement and no salary cap.
    Apples and pomegranates, methinks.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sure, but the initial Post was about College coaches who had success in the NFL. I didn't think Walsh had been brought up yet.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Walsh also came into the NFL in a different era.
    Chuck Fairbanks and others also had some success leaping from the college ranks to the NFL in the 1970s.

Draft saved Draft deleted