1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 9/16

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Sep 14, 2006.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

John Elway's not walking through that door !

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Heard the same argument last year right up until 50,000 Jawja fans walked out of the Jawja Dome with expressions like Rich Rodriguez just shot their grandma with a 30-0-6.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

BAHAHAHA! Way to go Notre Dame!

On the God dammit side of the ledger, can my alma mater PLEASE beat a Big Ten team in my lifetime? Losing 38-28 to Purdue is no disgrace, I suppose, but Miami went in there last week and should have won. Plus, Southern Illinois beat Indiana, who beat Ball State the week before.

Frustrating!

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Maybe you should have waited for that game to end before releasing that top five. I can't wait to see how that one came down at the end -- not to mention the other three games I have on DVR awaiting me.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did OU get jobbed? Probably. But consider this.

A football that starts to wobble in mid-air is not "indisputable video evidence". The video replay guy HAS to see the ball actually touch the fingers/hand of the defender. it's not possible to see that on any replay that was available. Therefore, they can't overrule the call.

The angles on the onside kick were horseshit. Again, that's not the video replay guy's fault. "Gee, it's a shitty angle but I THINK it didn't go 10 yards" isn't enough to overturn a call. He has to be able to see it clearly. There was NO angle that proved the balld didn't go 10 yards. The only way to clearly tell if it didn't go 10 yards is if there is a camera right on the 40. Again, not the replay guy's fault.

IMO, that game was a great case for NOT using instant replay. There is such a disparity in the amount, and quality, of camera angles in college football games that it's not possible to have a system that is consistent from game to game. With that being the case, there's no point in using it.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So I'm scrolling through the conference scoreboards on ESPN to see whether any games stand out, besides all the obvious ones that got hype this past week. Sure enough, I came across one -- Southern Illinois 35, Indiana 28.

OK, granted, Indiana needed a rally to beat Ball State (all due respect, Bubbler and Whitlock) last week. But to see a I-AA rally from 14 down in the third quarter to win on the road at a D-I, that doesn't happen every day.

Combine that with Northwestern's 17-point home loss to New Hampshire, and that gives I-AA schools two victories in two weeks at Big Ten schools. Not a good stat for any conference to have.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

New Hampshire did beat Rutgers last year. Give UNH some credit. That's a pretty good I-AA program. And Northwestern is a program still reeling from Walker's death.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not only that, Oz, but Indiana State -- a pathetic program that pushes the envelope Chuck Yeager-style every week in the dog-ass department -- put 35 on Purdue opening week.

Granted, Purdue scored 60, but everyone scores nearly a point a minute against the Sycamores, that's nothing to write home about. Hell, non-descript Murray State hung 59 on Indiana State on Saturday.

Indiana State has lost 20 in a row. Lord almighty, eat the football gun already.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Top level I-AA schools like Furman, New Hampshire, Georgia Southern, Montana, etc. Should be able to hang with, and defeat all but the top level I-A programs. Teams that play at a championship level in I-AA should be able to defeat middle-of-the-road I-A teams on a regular basis.

A team like Georgia Southern could win the Sun Belt. A team like Montana could handle just about anybody in the WAC with the exception of Fresno St. and maybe Hawaii.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Trust me, I did last week's running college football thread, I know how they are and what Northwestern went through the past couple months. But to see UNH win by 17 was still a shock simply because of the margin.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

To add, UNH won again today.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Armchair, simply looking at the video it was clear, absolutely clear, that the ball didn't go 10 yards on the onsides kick.

Likewise, I saw #99 tip that pass. It was simply embarassing.

Draft saved Draft deleted