1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 1, 2020.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not a bad choice ... they actually win.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. The options for BYU are dwindling but if a critical mass of schools decided to go rogue though, they would be a good get on a slapdash schedule effort.

Outside of Nebraska, I haven't seen many schools say that was an option they were considering.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's strange for me, watching UAB in the time of Covid. It is a big medical research school and teaching hospital. UAB doctors are on national TV and radio often. Remdesivir was invented by a UAB Doctor. Lots of Covid related drug and vaccine work is going on here. UAB Health is doing the Corona testing for all the students in public colleges in the state. The protocols and testing in place for the football team are solid. AD and Coach Clark intend to play unless something happens to stop them. The team is well-disciplined and motivated to play, and there have been zero positives in week two of camp.

Yet.

This is the best team we've ever had, legitimately expected to win nine or ten games and maybe the conference. I absolutely hate to see it shut down. C-USA is meeting today and I fully expect them to play until events dictate differently. OTOH, I'm queasy about continuing practice, having seen how things went with MLB. It's not like I have any say in what happens, though. All I can do is wait and see. Screw 2020 anyhow.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

As the boards biggest Red Raider fan, I eagerly await Halloween Night when we get to kick the hell out of those wagon driving cousin fuckers from Norman.

That is all.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

So when are students expected to be back on campus at most of these places? That's going to be the big factor. All the positives that were popped in June and July seemed to have been settled down, but that's with the campuses relatively empty.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

There's no period in Dr Pepper. As in the "Dr Pepper Big 12 Championship Game."

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There's a part of me that wants to see how this all plays out with the Big Ten and Pac 12 abstaining and the others moving ahead. But I wonder if the ACC, SEC and Big 12 are going to be stubborn to the point of endangering their campuses.

maumann likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Regular students are more likely to give the virus to football players than vice versa because there are so many more of the,. At some point, one program will resort to sequestering its team off-campus and forbidding them any contact with regular students at all. They'll be told not to go to class.

maumann likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So I need to know the Big 12, ACC and SEC equivalents of Oregon State for football this year. Kansas, Wake and Kentucky? Gotta root for somebody.

11. Neutral Corner

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Florida has its own athletic dorms, athletic dining hall and private tutors -- all off-limits to the rest of the student population. So ... this is just a normal fall semester in the SEC.

Liut and Donny in his element like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted