1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2019 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 10, 2019.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Sub in Ohio State for Notre Dame and you'd be on point.

I just remember last year as there was this Herbstreit-led movement to get Georgia in the final four over Notre Dame because they happened to play Alabama close and I'm just thinking why even bother keeping won-loss records. Just decide who's going to be in the playoff in August and let the season be played for fun and NFL tape.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I told you in 2017 when Vegas had UAB winning two games to take the over, and it won eight. The team lost 35 seniors after last season, turnover from the influx of Jucos brought in to restart the program. Conference champs last season, picked fourth in the division (not the league) this season. They lost many solid starters, including four of five on the OLine. Clark has reloaded and is coaching them up. This year's team has more and better overall talent than UAB has ever had. They play one of the weakest schedules in D1. I expect six to eight wins in a down year. Use your own judgement of course.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That list suggests to me that the books do a bad job of evaluating non-Power Five teams in general. And UVa has pissed off a lot of bettors in the last five years.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Utah's pretty good. Top 15, probably.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don’t know how anybody got through that Free Bird thing.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Ehhh, I’ve heard Matt can cause some friction himself. That being said, the job he did last year was generally good considering the circumstances.

Always liked his offense.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I've heard the same. That said, head coaches have to hire for staff fit, not scheme. Most important thing a coach does, hire and manage his staff. The really good ones have to hire often. To Coach O's credit, he dumped Canada quickly. Canada's not a "southern football" kind of guy.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The gap between Alabama, Clemson, and maybe Georgia - and the rest of the country, is huge.

Notre Dame was undefeated, ranked 3rd in the country - and got smoked 30-3 by Clemson.

And if they played 10 times, the average margin of victory would have been 21 points.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I doubt a lot of people did.

I was done when he wrote some interminably long piece on the violence of football and the American buffalo (that also had a factual error in the lede). The feature-length meditation was more or less a liberal/progressive lament for living in a rotten, no good America.

The scariest part of thinking about the inherent violence of football — America’s most popular sport, even now— is that it’s just a sliver of something huge and more monstrous and inescapable. That being an accomplice is a fact of being American. That somewhere in a long history of violence, even the home I buy or the car I drive or the food I eat is a feeble payment against a long debt of crushing injustice, inequality, and ambient malice.

See ya.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gosh, that's exactly one point less than the margin by which Alabama got smoked by Clemson. By your logic, it's Clemson, then the rest lengths behind, which could be true.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I take it Mizzou is forbidden, correct, due to the NCAA sanctions?

Slacker likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted