1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 championship week thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's a huge clusterfuck down there, for sure. I'm not sure anyone really knows what's going to happen. They way that Gus played this out seems very strange to me.

Like I said - Clark would be smart to stay away, but they could triple his money, so... Other side of that coin is that he lost two years of his career to power dealings by a Board of Trustees, and frankly, AU's is far more unsettled than 'Bama's.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And the NCAA will still screech about the purity of amateur athletics.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Insert comment here about "sanctity of the bowls," whatever the hell that means.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It occurs to me that I will be out of the country visiting my daughter in France for the entirety of bowl/playoff season except for the national "title" game. There are US sports on French TV sometimes, but college football ain't one of 'em. It also occurs to me I won't miss the whole shebang that much. I'll just get the scores and commentary online.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's just content filler and background noise for holiday drinking. I'll watch Virginia Tech's game (hopefully) and the semifinals and probably the Rose Bowl, but that's about it. It's not appointment viewing, for sure.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Seriously, would we miss any of the Bowls if they killed them all and went to a 16-team playoff? I know old white People from Peoria would cry over the Rose Bowl, but beyond that does anyone care? Anyone really gonna be upset that they don’t have the Bad Boy Mowers Bowl or Pinstripe Bowl to watch? For me it’ll just mean I start caring about college basketball a couple of weeks sooner. And, as a fan of a P5 school that occasionally even pretends to care about its football program, Bowls are a pain in the ass. I'd much rather treat this weekend's ACC championship, a game that actually means something to both teams, as my bowl trip. No one is dying to hop on a plane on three weeks notice and fly to El Paso or Orlando last minute to watch an 8-4 team play another 8-4 team. These things were concocted a hundred years ago to promote tourism. That’s it. We don’t need to promote tourism in Miami or Pasadena anymore. People already know the shits nice without a college football game.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The biggest draw to having all these bowls is 40 or so teams (and coaches) get to end the season with a win. For that reason, I don't see it changing.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You're lucky if you get two 8-4 teams.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If ESPN finds something on which it can make more money in December, the number of bowls will drop dramatically, if they don't disappear altogether.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

ESPN knows that bowls are reliable programming, that's why they've scooped up just about every one except the Sun Bowl. People say they won't watch, but the numbers say otherwise. And with the expansion of gambling, they're absolutely not going away. Pay attention, there's money to be made on that Dec. 20 game between a team that feels disrespected and another that's on vacation with a coach on his way out the door.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not to mention the 20something days of extra practice time these coaches covet.

HanSenSE and Steak Snabler like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted