1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2016 Week 4 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 19, 2016.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Along those lines, is there REALLY a good explanation why the clock stops on incompletions (and out of bounds plays)?

Yes, I know it takes a little more time to get the ball spotted after a 60-yard pass, etc., but how about just stopping the clock UNTIL the ball is spotted and then let that sucker run?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think one reason soccer has become popular with my son and his social circle is that you know it's two hours tops. Even if it goes to penalties in a big tournament, it's three hours tops. Don't get me wrong, they still like football, but most of 'em watch the Pats game and that's that. They keep up with their fantasy teams on their phones, no need even for RedZone.

3. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Texas A&M: Why are they a Top 10 team and UCLA unranked? The Aggies -- who've spent the last three years falling well short of early season hype -- won their game in overtime. The team they beat is 2-1.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Texas A&M has benefited from the craziness of this season. Nine of the teams ranked in the preseason top 20 have already lost. Texas A&M got a win over one of them and came through its other two games unscathed. Except for Alabama, Louisville and Ohio State, moving up in the rankings to this point has been more about surviving the minefield than wowing people.
    And FWIW, I don't disagree on UCLA. They should have been creeping around in the 20s. They'll be back if they win this week against Stanford.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, but if you're going to have replay under the rules the college game uses, then all four were legitimate replays, especially the three plays in a row when Ole Miss had it inside the Bama 1. The first one and the third one were clear overturns and the second probably should have been, but undoubtedly stood because there wasn't enough conclusive evidence to overrule the call on the field that the play was short of the goal.

Unlike some on the board, I can live with a four-hour game if it's a close, exciting contest with lots of wide-open play. Problem is, there is way too much dead time for commercials on TV games. I know that's how the networks get paid, but they could bunch the ads in pregame and halftime, and cut down on the number of in-game commercials.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

College halftime is 8 minutes longer

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Those bands work just as hard ...

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I would settle for longer TV games if they actually showed the bands at halftime instead of some buttmunchers yakking away in the studio.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Things continue to go well at USC:

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The USC coach had to deny an Internet rumor that a freshman OL punched him after the news that the lineman left school.

Draft saved Draft deleted