1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2016 Week 14/championship week running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

All point spreads from Vegas Insider and all times Eastern.

Friday

Conference championship games

MAC (at Detroit) — Ohio (+19) vs. Western Michigan, 7 p.m., ESPN2

Pac-12 (at Santa Clara, Calif.) — Washington (-7) vs. Colorado, 9:30 p.m., Fox

Saturday

Regular season games

Oklahoma State (+12.5) at Oklahoma, noon, Fox

Troy (-8) at Georgia Southern, noon, ESPN2

Kansas State (+4.5) at TCU, noon, Fox Sports 1

Baylor (+16) at West Virginia, 3:30 p.m., Fox Sports 1

Arkansas State (-23.5) at Texas State, 7:30 p.m., ESPN2

Conference championship games

American — Temple (+3) at Navy, noon, ABC

C-USA — Louisiana Tech (+7.5) at Western Kentucky, noon, ESPN

SEC (at Atlanta) — Alabama (-23) vs. Florida, 4 p.m., CBS

Mountain West — San Diego State (-6.5) at Wyoming, 7:45 p.m., ESPN

ACC (at Orlando) — Clemson (-9.5) vs. Virginia Tech, 8 p.m., ABC

Big Ten (at Indianapolis) — Penn State (+3) vs. Wisconsin, 8 p.m., Fox

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That SEC title line is just begging people to bet on Florida.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Vegas has to set the line that high to keep people from betting on Alabama.

But yeah, I tend to agree with you. Looking like a 17-3 kind of game.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would love the scenario where Washington, Clemson and Oklahoma all lose and Barry Alvarez has a sliver of daylight to put not one, not two, but three Big Ten teams in. The last spot would come down to Michigan, Colorado or Okie State.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I can't believe it, but I'm actually rooting for Penn State against Wisky, just because I want to see how the committee squirms if Clemson, Washington and Bama claims their spots. Two of the first three things the CFP website lists as criteria for rankings are conference championships and head-to-head results. I agree that Ohio State is one of the best four teams in the country, but I can't see how the committee puts them in over Penn State according to their own criteria.

6. LongTimeListener

They aren't choosing between Penn State and Ohio State. Nobody is "claiming" their spot with a win.

Ohio State is in. The fourth spot is B1G champion or Washington.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The best criteria for excluding Ohio State is the one that would make sense to the pitchfork-carrying folks from a few years ago.

"You bastards blew a 14-point, fourth-quarter lead and made Pedophile U. RELEVANT again! Those fuckers are RELEVANT. That alone should earn you a playoff ban."

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I just don't think it is as set in stone as all that, not with conference championships being as important to the criteria as they appear to be to the committee.

9. LongTimeListener

OK you keep thinking that, I will bet you $1,000 right now that Ohio State is in the playoff.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Would you accept a check that bounces?

FWIW, I agree with you. Ohio State should be in the playoff. They are one of the four best teams in the country. All I'm saying is, if the committee truly weighs conference titles and head-to-head match ups as heavily as it is written on its own website, I can see a scenario where Washington, Clemson and Penn State all convincingly win Saturday and leapfrog a stagnant Ohio State team.

11. LongTimeListener

Sorry, man, but that scenario does not exist.

Ohio State is 3-1 against the top eight teams in the nation. Strength of schedule matters. A lot.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Do you want to retroactively award the 1969 Baltimore Orioles with the World Series Championship? They were a better team than the Mets.

OSU didn't win their Conference Division and didn't play in the Big10 Championship game. By result, they are the 3rd place team in the Big10. And If Penn State wins they have both criteria. IF VaTech beats Clemson, how does Clemson get in ahead of them, having lost the ACC to them and lost the head to head?

Apparently, you are not your record. You are what you are perceived to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted