1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 6 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 5, 2015.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Surely he doesn't get booted after one year, but I don't see Nebraska tolerating Mike Riley putting up semi-regular four-win stinkers the way he did at Oregon State.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that Strong is a bad fit, or that he's a bad coach. I just think that's a big rebuilding project. I'm generally in the "he'll be fine in two years" camp - if they keep him around that long, that is.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think they just hired him as a placeholder until they decide Scott Frost is ready.

murphyc likes this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

With the way things stand in Texas, the Longhorns will probably demand open carry – and get it.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How about John Mackovic when he went from Illinois to Texas.
    Wlat Harris when he went from Pitt to Stanford.
    And of course who could forget this guy...

6. dixiehack

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Take more favorites.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mike Riley returned to Oregon State in 2003. His win totals:

2003: 8
    2004: 7
    2005: 5
    2006: 10
    2007: 9
    2008: 9
    2009: 8
    2010: 5
    2011: 3
    2012: 9
    2013: 7
    2014: 5

I agree Nebraska fans won't be patient. But Mike Riley certainly did not "put up semi-regular four-win stinkers" in Corvallis.

murphyc likes this.
  10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It's curious. We see this constantly. A D II genius can get boat raced in I-AA. We often see I-AA guys struggling at the next step (see Cowboys, Wyoming). Yet the hot coordinator also is a crapshoot.

So many of the coaches who failed miserably at Michigan, Tennessee, Florida and now Texas all dealt with high dollar boosters and high expectations, sometimes unrealistic.

11. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

And we're talking about Oregon State, which went from 1971 to 1999 without a single winning season and was often the worst team in Div. I in that stretch. Can you imagine a Power 5 team having 5,000 season ticket holders? That's where the Beavers were in 1984.

12. dixiehack

Mea culpa. But the larger point still stands: Having a losing season one-third of the time at Nebraska ain't gonna fly. As is this constitutes the worst start for the Huskers since the end of the 50s. I'd say the second time he finishes below .500, he's done.

Draft saved Draft deleted