1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 6 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 5, 2015.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I give Oregon credit for putting the ball on the tee. Oregon's mascot trolled Butch T. Cougar (WAZZU's mascot) on Twitter last week with Oregon Trail game pics, with the last one saying "Butch has died." The WAZZU tweet was in response to that, plus Butch also tweeted "Scoreboard." Hilarious stuff all around.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Funny how Chip Kelly has one less national title than the coach at Texas-San Antonio or a coordinator at UNC. Football is a fickle beast.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As one of the Royals fans on here, I'm trying to remember this today if KC loses. All of the newer fans will have Twitter outrage but damn what a fun year.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fickle, indeed.

For all the fans howling for their coaches' heads for "only" winning 8-9 games per year, consider . . .

Only 8 Div. I FBS programs have won 70 percent of their games . . . and that's with schedules weighted in their favor with purchased home games.

Only 20 Div. I FBS programs have won 60 percent of their games. That's right: a consistent 8-5 record will put your program among the top 17 all time.

Only 8 programs have a winning record vs. ranked teams.

If you are a fan of a team, it probably sucks. If you are lucky, it sucks less than other teams.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I must say, I'm not sure why that's so "insane" if you're counting earlier stints at smaller mid-major schools. Generally you don't get to be a power conference head coach unless you had big success somewhere along the way.

My impression has been that the Pac 12 is down this year compared to the recent past. At least the three power schools that've dominated the conference the last decade--Oregon, USC, Stanford--clearly appear to have regressed. And the only school that's truly stood out to me is Utah, who began this season unranked and was in the MWC only a couple years ago.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Besides Leach and Petersen, Gary Anderson (Utah State) and Mike McIntyre (San Jose State) enjoyed their 10-win seasons elsewhere.

Whittingham, of course, guided Utah to a 13-0 record out of the Mountain West.

That still leaves six coaches with a ten combined 10-win seasons between them in the Pac-12 (Just a matter of time before Whittingham joins that list). You don't see balance like that at any other power conference.

7. dixiehack

Twelve out of 14 SEC head coaches have 10+ win seasons to their credit. Eight of them did it in the SEC and Bielema did so while in the Big 10.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's 9 of 14 in the ACC (10 if you include FCS). Six of them did it at their current school, including Petrino, who did it before Louisville joined the ACC (although he also won 10 at Arkansas before he bestowed the gift of freqposter upon us). Two of the ones who haven't (Shafer and Narduzzi) are first-time head coaches.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Speaking of Bielema...

10. dixiehack

Hopefully that doesn't get blown up into a big controversy. It would be a shame for Arkansas to spin the coach roulette wheel and accidentally get it right.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Cutting Sark.

Songbird likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted