1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 6 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 5, 2015.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'd go heavy on Nittany. They're not good but I imagine Ohio State beat up IU physically.

Liking Mizzou this weekend against Florida. A lot.

As always go against Kansas.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not totally surprising. If you look at it as a straight match-ups Michigan is built well to exploit Northwestern's weaknesses, plus there is the home field, which is 3 of the 8 points. Northwestern runs the football -- its offense is straight run oriented, with Justin Jackson carrying a huge load -- too big of a load for most to survive a season. Michigan has been incredibly good at stopping the run -- they have held 3 of the last 4 teams to less than 60 yards. They are going to be ready for Jackson. Northwestern's defense has been really good -- but it has mostly been because of their linebacker play in coverage and their ability to stop any attempt at even a short passing game. Duke and Ball State were both able to run on them -- more than 5 yards per carry. Michigan should be able to, also. Then Northwestern has trouble punching the ball in. 17 times in the red zone, only 5 TDs. Against an anemic offense like Minnesota, no big deal -- a TD isn't going to be the difference. Michigan is going to be a different story. When I handicapped this before the lines came out on Sunday, my guess was Michigan giving 7. So the 8 doesn't surprise me. I also guess it is going to be pretty low scoring. Maybe something like a 17-10 game.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The ol' vote of confidence.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ye Olde Chef's weak 6 predictions.

North Carolina State (+1.5)
    LSU (-12)
    Oklahoma (-16)
    Georgia (-3)
    Baylor (-42)
    Florida (-4)
    TCU (-8.5)

6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Assistant to Urban Meyer at Florida. A proven winner at Louisville as a head coach. I'm scratching my head thinking of another coach with that kind of resume who moved in the ranks...and failed so miserably.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

No over plays?

JackReacher likes this.
  8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Rich Rodriguez at Michigan, Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame, maybe Derek Dooley at Tennessee

9. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Good ones, especially RichRod.
    On the other hand, Willingham (a) never was a coordinator and (b) never won more than nine games at Stanford (where he has three losing seasons in seven years).
    Dooley...was he ever a head coach?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, at La Tech.

I thought of another ... Dennis Franchione at Texas A&M. Wasn't a coordinator of any note, but did win big in Division II at Pittsburg State and had 9- or 10-win teams at New Mexico, TCU and Alabama.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Al Golden might wind up on that list soon.

It's interesting how guys can seem like good coaches, but be terrible fits when they take the "big" job.

Draft saved Draft deleted