1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football -- 10/12-14

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

MAC should drop Temple and Buffalo (football only members) and add Army and Navy as full members to attract some TV markets from the East Coast. Not only that, but it's about where Army and Navy should be.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If you play Division I basketball and field a football team, it must be either Division I-A or Division I-AA.

Lots of D-I hoops schools that don't play football, including St. Bonaventure, UNCC, and St. Louis in Temple's hoops league, the A-10.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

and xavier

4. micropolitan guy

I knew I was forgetting one, happens to be the best team. Alma mater of Danny Abramowitz.

Oz, Buffalo's a full-time member of the MAC. Almost won it in men's hoops in 2005, led by Turner Battle.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fixed ...

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Point is, bring in Army and Navy. They would bring a lot to that conference.

7. micropolitan guy

I think A&N love their independent status for FB, it lets them play a semi-tough regional schedule with a few national games, and they're perfect in the Patriot League for their other sports. Army's also in another league for hockey.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, that's more precise. I knew there was some rule like that.

9. KP

KP Active Member

But they blew a 20-point lead in the second half and lost in OT on a tip-in at the buzzer by Leon Williams. [/Ohio fanboy looser]

Army already tried the football conference thing (C-USA) and went back to being an indy after a few years.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm glad someone corrected the misinformation. The Good Doctor was the one who mentioned I-A basketball, and there is no such thing. Division I is Division I in hoops. You just can't be DI in all sports and DIII in football. That's the reason the Pioneer Football League exists, so schools like Valpo, Drake, Davidson and San Diego can play non-skolly football and keep their Division I status.

And the Atlantic 10 is out of the football game after this season. The current A-10 lineup will become the CAA, and that may even fracture further down the line.

Anyhoo ...

On Tech, I can't wait to see how Beamer doles out those fines after the game. Very reminiscent of the West Virginia game a few years ago. I'm a big fan of Beamer. He was very good to me when I was in school there. But at what point does he stop getting a pass for the behavior of his team?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You forgot Mississippi State

Draft saved Draft deleted