1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football -- 10/12-14

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's not true, dools. ETSU, when it had football, was I-AA, but I-A in hoops.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not what I meant. To be Division I in hoops, you have to have a football team that at least plays in non-scholarship Division I-AA (such as what Georgetown, St. John's, Austin Peay, Morehead State, etc., do). For example, Temple needs to keep a football team to stay in the Atlantic 10.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Beamer Ball = Thug life. Funny how ESPN is just now catching on to the goonery that has been Virginia Tech for years. And nice job by the player bustin' a move on the field down 20-3. Where's Billy Curry when I need him. He woulda' dragged that kid off the field by his right testicle.

4. KP

KP Active Member

Just got back from the lamest DI-A football environment (Temple doesn't count as DI-A), wow VT's offense sucks. Central Michigan, BYU and Clemson tore through that BC defense and they couldn't do a thing.

There is no such thing as I-AA basketball.

5. KP

KP Active Member

Gonzaga, Wright State, Boston University, Vermont for starters don't have football.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

KP, apparently BC is only allowed to have one Thursday night game every four years because the neighbors bitch about the noise. They also won't allow them to expand the stadium.

yessir, Swofford, ya'll got yo'self a football PAHERHAASE up there in Chesnut Hill. They're not even the strongest group IN THEIR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD.

7. dooley_womack1

Probably grandfathered in, as would be ETSU, Long Beach State, etc. I don't think you can just drop football now and keep Division I-A status. I'm sure the MAC would not have taken Temple if it had any inkling it would drop football.

And I didn't say there was I-AA basketball.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

If you wanna blame anyone for that giant sucking sound in South Philly direct your eye to northwest Philly and glare at Villanova. That school full of good catholic boys wanted no parts of Temple as a full member of the Big East because they didnt want to have to recruit against Cheyney. I've heard rumors that the football schools are gonna break away from the basketball schools in five years. Given the stupidity that some of the football schools have had to edure so that dynasties like Villanova and Providence can flourish I can only pray this is true.

9. dooley_womack1

It would be a shame for Louisville, Cincinnati and Notre Dame to not be playing Georgetown, Villanova (which is a real good I-AA football team) and Seton Hall in the same conference. It's the best basketball league if they don't squabble it away.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

It's too big, Dooley. A 16-team basketball conference is insane.

11. dooley_womack1

There's a helluva lot of strength in those numbers, tho, as far as TV contract and conference tournament go. And there's the drama about how many decades it will take for South Florida to have a winning league mark.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Also include UNC Wilmington, Charlotte and Campbell (though the Camels are about to jump back into football).

Draft saved Draft deleted