1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB coaching openings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

San Diego State should take a look at Rich Ellerson, the head coach at Cal Poly.

And anyone else think this "coach-in-waiting" trend is getting ridiculous? Is it binding? I really have a hard time believing Muschamp at Texas, Fischer at FSU, and even the Indy Colts and Seahawks naming CIWs is getting lame.

Didn't work out too well for Kevin O'Neill.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As long as SDSU wants to run its FB program on the cheap it won't matter who they hire. They'll continue to suck at a high rate of speed.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Hell, why not; he already owns the Aztecs (2-0 record against)

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Eh. What's the matter. You don't like crappy I-AA teams?

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Unlikely that Barnett will go to New Mexico; that was where kicker Katie Hnida transferred to after Colorado and where she was interviewed when she said she had been raped by a Colorado teammate. The school rallied around Hnida, especially after Barnett made his idiotic comments.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Utah State wants John L. Smith back but Wyoming will probably be a more attractive location for him. Utah State also wants to talk to DeWayne Walker who would do well not to answer his phone.

Bob Condotta's blog on the Seattle Times today has some talk about Dennis Franchione getting some interest in the Washington search and also mentions Les Miles as a possibility, what with the guy who hired him at LSU now running the show in Seattle and with his willingness to make the next UW coach a man of some longterm wealth.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

But, as a kicker, she was terrible...

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

John L would be a good fit in Laramie. If you can prosper in Moscow and Logan, you can win at Wyoming, because everything else is in place. The facilities upgrades at UW have been remarkable, thanks to the money the energy boom has brought to the state.

Just don't go play pool at the Alibi the day you're hired.

Utah State actually improved quite a bit this past year and would have also defeated Fresno State if not for a game-ending 58-yard FG, but if you're a losing coach you never want to work for the AD that didn't hire you.

9. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

if Lane Kiffin isnt the next coach at Tennessee, I'll be shocked.

Seems its down to these three:
    1) Kiffin
    2) Brian Kelly
    3) Troy Calhoun (Air Force)

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It would be hard to argue with Kelly or Kiffin.

What about Whittingham (sp?), the Utah coach? I'm guessing he will be drawing interest.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Seems like he's have a better chance than most to contain Meyer's spread.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Prepare to be shocked. I think it'll be Kelly.

Draft saved Draft deleted