1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Which big-name coaches do you think will be canned?

Where will the Cincy, Boise State, TCU, Utah and South Florida coaches be next season?

Does anyone jump to the NFL?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Leavitt turned down other overtures when he was a hot name, I can't imagine he'd leave USF now.

3. Mizzougrad96

Agree on Leavitt, I would imagine that three of those other four will be gone to bigger schools by next season though.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

There will be an opening at UVA, Mike London should get the job.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was going to say I didn't think Patterson would leave TCU but they do have a new AD so I guess it's possible he might move on.

The other issue is, will there be jobs open this year that are better than the ones these guys already have?

Kelly is at a BCS program, he's not going to jump to UVa or a second tier Big 10, Big 12, ACC or SEC program. Same is true for Leavitt.

Is Washington State a better situation than Boise or Utah? I'm not sure.

Is Colorado a better situation than TCU? Will CU even make a change?

There may not be a lot of good places to move to this year.

6. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing Patterson will have his pick of any of the SEC or Big 12 openings.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if the economy may slow the trigger fingers at some schools. Maybe some places let a coach go one more season and finish a contract instead of writing him a big check to go away while ponying up for a new guy at the same time.

At my beloved Indiana, the AD said that Bill Lynch (who hasn't exactly set the world on fire) is virtually a lock to stay on through the end of his deal in 2011. The AD said that he liked Lynch but also admitted that the school had to get out of the habit of buying out contracts (Gerry DiNardo, etc). Granted, IU isn't exactly a football factory, but I thought that was an interesting insight.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But would he want any of them?

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Leavett isn't going anywhere.

I could see Patterson leaving. (Colorado?)

I could also see Kevin Sumlin (Houston) leaving as well.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Chris Petersen is going to be the Mark Few of college football. Why leave for a supposed bigger job when you've got a great job where you're standing? Boise State is going to be on top of the WAC heap forever, and he's making $850,000 a year, so what's not to love?

Play: You're right about Indiana and money. That athletic department is still a shambles, finally starting to recover after, what, five athletic directors in seven years or something like that?

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

A month ago, Hawkins was a lock to get the axe.

Now; Even money.

I still say he goes away, and Patterson gets it, if he wants it.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Dan Hawkins just threw a cat across the room, and doesn't know why.

Draft saved Draft deleted