1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writer200707, Nov 4, 2009.

1. writer200707

writer200707 New Member

Can anyone tell me the guys that I need to be reading for college basketball this year?

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Gregg Doyel

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's been a while since we've had a "noobie" fishing for guys/gals to read.

Had the subject title just been "Young College Basketball Writers," we would have been in business.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't read me. My stuff blows.

Go pick up Street and Smith's - they usually find pretty good beat guys from the various leagues. That would be a place to start. See who did the various league previews and you have a decent start to your list. You don't even have to buy it. Wander into a Barnes and Noble with a notebook and get busy.
    But, uh, yeah. Buy it. Tough times in our business.

Blue Ribbon Yearbook, for the same reason. The people who cover the leagues for that publication do a hell of a lot of work and you can't get it done without knowing your shit.

5. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Jerry Tipton, the Lexington Herald-Leader. Been covering UK for decades. Has forgotten more than most people know. If he's not the dean of college basketball writers, he's close.

Dick Jerardi at the Philly papers, Mike DeCourcy of the Sporting News, and Dick (Hoops) Weiss of the NY Daily News are also must-reads during the season. And if there's breaking news, Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports will likely have it first.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Couldn't agree more on Tipton.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I heard Bleacher Report has some great basketball writers. Starting there would make sense.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

College hoops are definitely Doyel's strength. He knows it as well as just about anyone.

Tipton is the best team beat writer in the country, but obviously he's primarily focused on Kentucky and the SEC.

I don't know if Bob Holt is doing basketball or football at the Democrat-Gazette, but he was another beat writer who I thought always used to do an amazingly thorough job.

The key is finding the beat writers who focus primarily on basketball. A lot of college beat writers cover football and then do hoops on the side and the coverage is usually lacking until February or March.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My hatred for UK notwithstanding, Tipton could bore the paint off walls.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Frank Burlison, Long Beach Press Telegram

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Street And Smith's is now published under the Sporting News banner, FYI.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Tipton boring?
    Wow. Never thought I'd hear somebody say that. I'm stunned by how he's able to continue writing so well after so many years on the same beat.
    I still remember his lead from nearly 10 years ago when Penn State went into Rupp and Penn State's brother act threw like 50 points on the Wildcats between them.

"Kentucky got fried last night. Extra Crispin."

Still cracks me up.

Draft saved Draft deleted