1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Oct 12, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Curious if Nike could even sign Zion to a shoe deal at this point. Seems like he would be more valuable to every other company at this point.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Dang. Then it’s not just a Zion thing if more players start coming out with this.

Are those shoes he’s holding meant for basketball?

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Looks like Nike May have gained everything it lost yesterday.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The kid should do what he wants - even if that’s against the wishes of his family - and let the chips fall where they may.

I never played college basketball. I never played in the NBA. So I can’t exactly judge the experiences. But there are life enrichments beside financial payment, and I don’t think sportswriters make good labor economists.

The NCAA is what it is. No one has to enter into its paradigm.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of course he should do what he wants. But the almost universal assumption is that he plans to go pro at the end of the season. In that case, he should be VERY careful about coming back from injuries. Let Coach K put another one of his 892 McDonald's All-Americans in there.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I agree Zion should do what he wants.

I do think the NCAA is a monopoly and conspires to deprive players of compensation for wearing shoes. Given the money the schools like Duke make of their shoe contracts I think this rule is obscene.

And if I was Zion and wanted to come back for the NCAA tournament, fine. But I would not trust the school medical staff to make that determination but would seek independent medical advice. And I would not hurry back and try to play through an injury.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No one has made more money on the backs of unpaid labor in North Carolina since reconstruction than Mike Krzyzewski

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

In watching the Virginia game with University-6 today, I noticed something interesting. The Papa John's logo is visible under the seats on the bench. I thought they cut all ties with that brand when they removed it from the name of the football stadium.
    Reminder that Papa John, although stripped of his job, still holds 30% of the stock. It's still white supremacist pizza.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Today was the first time I’ve allowed myself to dream on this UVA team. The first half was UMBC redux - Louisville hitting everything it put up from 3 with DeAndre Hunter out of the game. Then Hunter took shit over in the second half, UVA’s bigs punished a smaller team and they won going away in a game where Guy and Jerome combined for 12 points.

Now that I said that, Syracuse will run them out of the gym on Monday, and somebody important will get hurt.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A monopoly on what? It's not a monopoly on college sports, understand. There's the NAIA.

And the NCAA does not deprive players from compensation. The players do that themselves - by playing in the NCAA. Zion Williamson could have done anything he liked after high school for the one year between HS and the NBA. He chose to voluntarily give up his ability to make money to play for a famous non-profit institution that would improve his visibility and give him elite training for free. That's the deal.

If he'd wanted Nike to pay him out of HS, I imagine Nike would have done so. Don't you?

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If it's against anyone else but K, he doesn't coach tonight.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

351 schools play D-I basketball. If the 351 largest print organizations met and established a salary ceiling of $16,000 for journalists that would be considered a monopoly, even though there are many smaller newspapers and other professions aspiring journalist could try to secure employment in.

The NCAA most assuredly does deprive players of compensation. When schools get caught paying players under the table they receive substantial financial penalties through probation. The enforcement staff of the NCAA exists in large part to deter colleges from receiving compensation.

I agree with Walter Byers, who complained about "the neo-plantation mentality that exists on the campuses of our country and in the conference offices and in the NCAA."

Alma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted