1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I keep hearing that's who they want.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Larranaga is a Providence alum and a Big East job could be very attractive.

3. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

True. The lure of the alma mater and Big East money would make the job hard to resist.

But is Providence really interested? Larranaga is 58 years old. He hasn't coached in a major conference since he was an assistant at UVA more than 20 years ago. So at this point he doesn't really seem to fit the description of a guy you bring in to turn around a major conference program.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I don't think Larranaga is leaving. My understanding is that Providence wants to go with someone younger - and might be looking to promote within. What that means for the future, nobody can say, but the Friars did have a pretty good team down the stretch at the end of this season and will get their point guard and leading scorer, Sharaud Curry, back next year after he missed all but six minutes this season.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I saw Providence a bit this season-they're really not that bad of a team, and I too think they'd want to go with someone younger than Larranaga.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Supposedly South Carolina is in that mix also.

And somehow I doubt Grant put's tonight's game on the resume highlight reel.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

How about Ken State's Jim Christian at Providence? A URI grad so he's familiar with the state.

If I were the Friars I'd hire Neru King. He'd be the best name in coaching. Or bring back Kevin Stacom or Lenny Wilkins.

And Tony Bennett makes so much sense for Indiana it's ridiculous. Which would free up Wazzu for Ken Bone.

And would anyone in their right mind take the Idaho job?

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I had heard volumes about how super a guy Larranaga was. Between Moddy's post above and the way he handled a halftime Q&A with an ESPN talking head last year in Cameron I came away even more impressed.

I can only imagine working the George Mason beat with him would be stealing money.

BYH, like Moddy I got nothing but tips of the cap for you, but hammer on Tim O'Connor, not Jim Larranaga. It's not the latter's job to apologize for getting an NCAA berth under questionable circumstances. And kudos to him for making the most of the chance two years ago. Probably the best college basketball story since Penn and (then) UNC-Charlotte in the late '70s.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

After the Sampson fiasco, IU has to hire somebody of absolutely impeccable -- utterly flawless -- personal background.

Skiles, with his lengthy series of alcohol/drug arrests during his college playing career, flunks this test.

If IU hired him, the first time ANY player was busted for ANY drug/alcohol-related problem (and, since we're dealing with college kids, you know somebody would be, sooner or later), the vultures would come screaming out of the trees, "see, we told you so, he was a drunk/doper himself in college, now he lets his players do it, etc etc etc."

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Heard it from a mutual friend of ours. Just sayin.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The B still stands for bitter.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn straight skippy.

Doesn't change the fact this comes from quite the reputable source.

Draft saved Draft deleted