1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

An inflation calculator says that works out to about $145,000 in 2017. Given much less TV money in the game then and Gonzaga's status as a low major, it sounds reasonable.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

VCU is open now:

Will Wade agrees to become next LSU basketball coach

Funny thing about Wade is, he was at Chattanooga for two years and VCU for two years, so he's never had a team made up entirely of his own recruits. When those guys get big-time jobs, it doesn't always work out — *cough* Stan Heath *cough.*

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I forgot how intense he gets on the sidelines. There were times during the Oregon game I thought the top of his head was gonna pop off.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wade made hay with Shaka's players and now figures it's time to bail. It took two BS calls by A-10 officials that turned losses into wins for them to even make the NCAAs this year.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes. You always take the payday. Always. Even if you know you'll get fired in three years.

6. Ulysses S. Grant

Ulysses S. Grant New Member

It seems obvious that Indiana is either hiring Alford or Mack, right?

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There are a few bucks floating around at SMU. A lot of that old money.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I covered Buzz Williams as an assistant to Eddie McCarter at UT-Arlington. It still weirds me out sometimes to see him on TV.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Gotta be Alford. His ego so much needs to be the guy who rolls into Assembly Hall and gets Hoosier basketball fixed and is loved and adored by all basketball fans in the state.

I don't think money matters, buyout matters, players he has at UCLA matters.

Plus, it's not like he has enjoyed a real warm reception at UCLA, either. Some of it he deserved (Pierre Pierce), but still. I can't imagine there's much of a pull with the great times he's had there.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If I'm Indiana, I hire Keith Smart before Alford.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I doubt the Smart phone will be ringing with a call from IU.

wicked, BurnsWhenIPee and Chef2 like this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Know a guy who was a head coach at Iowa (different sport) when Alford coached there. He told me yesterday there was no doubt Alford would go to Indiana once UCLA is done. And echoed PWIP ie Alford has a huge ego. Plus his kid is now done at UCLA.
    FWIW.

Draft saved Draft deleted