1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Baseball Team Bus Crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Mar 2, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

First of all, 82 crashes in the last nine years isn't very many considering how highly traveled Northside Drive is and I-75 is. You've got millions of drivers every day on both of these roads, and you get nine wrecks a year. That's not out of the ordinary.

And there ARE signs (before the start of this particular video) that Northside Drive is a left exit, as there are signs before all the left exits (there are six total) around metro Atlanta.

No, they're not in all caps with flashing lights and a foghorn to alert the drivers who can't quite figure it out. But there are signs.

And there are the overhead signs (seen in the video) that say "Northside Drive" with an arrow pointing left, while the lane you're in continues straight ahead. And there are signs that say "EXIT" with another arrow pointing left.

And there are more signs signaling a stop sign ahead, not to mention the actual stop sign at the end of the ramp.

None of those were heeded!

How many more signs are needed until we can be assured that people won't get confused? Do they all need flashing lights? ... And at what point did driving become so difficult a task that people stopped being able to read and understand road signs on the highway? ... Do we need to eliminate all left exits? It seems that people might have trouble adjusting to those, since there are so few of those around the nation.

It's terrible that the driver made a mistake like this. But sometimes that's all it is: a mistake, an accident.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Wow. Jason, thanks for that.

I feel guilty that I can't help read enough about it. I find myself wanting more, maybe because I'm hoping there's an answer to why this happened. ...

But I know that won't help heal any of the wounds, emotional and physical.

My prayers are with everyone involved.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

One year later, Bluffton heads south for another spring trip -- this time by plane:

http://www.thecourier.com/Issues/2008/Mar/01/ar_news_030108_story3.asp

4. with links to one year anniversary coverage:

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/stories/2008/03/01/timkay_0302.html

5. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Here's a tip o' the cap to Michelle.

And a moment of silence for the fallen.

Hwy

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Now THIS is proper use of the recycle-thread function.

My thoughts remain with the team.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It took me awhile to realize this was an old thread, but I found this in one of the original AJC stories and was curious if anyone knows more. Was this guy behind the bus? On Northside Drive? Where?
    Did he rush to aid? What was it like witnessing this?
    Just curious.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Gola, good news!

http://www.mlive.com/sportsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/sports-27/1204486169324590.xml&storylist=michigansports

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Must have, since 5 was the final death toll, no?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He survived and will throw out the first pitch at the team's home opener.

Draft saved Draft deleted