1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Collections

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Dec 4, 2015.

1. I thought this going to be about baseball cards and comic books.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Better yet, give a wrong number -- the same wrong number, always -- to anyone who has no reason to know your phone number. That's what I do, and I've never received telemarketing calls for years. It's ... beautiful.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think I get yours. Thanks, pal.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never really been much of a collector. No interest in cards, although I've accumulated a few over the years they're all essentially worthless.
    I loved comic books when I was a kid, but I didn't really collect them. I read them and threw them in a box. I'd re-read some but I never took care of them. Threw the out when I was a teen.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The birth of our second child cost a few grand (thanks for nothin', company insurance) and we agreed with the hospital to pay it off interest-free at $100 a month for a few years. There were no problems but every few months the bills would look different as the hospital's bill-collecting kept getting shuffled to different companies. After two years we got a letter from the newest company saying if we could pay half of what we owed, pronto, they'd waive the rest. I called and grilled them about whether this could somehow bite me later, would this affect my credit, etc., etc., and they assured me it was legit, they just wanted to clean up some smaller accounts. They must not have wanted my last few hundred very badly.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, I literally received a call last week from John Brown of the Wilbur Law Firm with regards to a collection notice they were trying to serve to someone I know.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Last year I cancelled my Verizon plan (was out-of-contract) and switched to AT&T GoPhone. I love GoPhone, by the way. For $60 a month I get unlimited talk and text with 4 GB of data with one month of roll over for data.

Back on topic, I canceled a few days before next month's payment was due. I never payed for that month -- why would I when I canceled before hand and didn't use their service after I canceled. Verizon subsequently tried to get the $53 or similar they claimed I owed for the last month. I've had to have gotten calls/letters from 10-15 different collection agencies since then. I sent a few of the agencies letters back to refute the debt, but I got tired of doing and quit after it seemed like I'd get a letter from a new collector every few weeks. They all must have given up because I don't think I've gotten any letters or calls in six months. They sure wasted a lot of paper for $53 they never got.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I get a perverse pleasure knowing companies are spending more money to collect/remind/nag than I owe them.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Hurts your credit, though.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's why it's a perverse pleasure.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Thanks for covering for me bro.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted