1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

collection agency harassment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 18, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Your humble narrator here owes quite a bit of money owing to a surgery I had to have on my foot last year.

One of the accounts got sold to a collection agency and now they're calling me multiple times throughout the day. On those occasions when I speak with them, they're as abusive as they can possibly be without using profanity and they hang up on me after delivering a harangue.

I work next to the local police depeartment's main office, so I went over and tried to file a report, but the cops said that as long as they don't threaten to do anything against the law, that they can call me as much as they want.

I plan on researching debtor rights over the weekend to see what my options are for getting these people off my back, but if anyone knew off the top of their head some things that could get me pointed in the right direction, that'd be great.

How horrible it must be to live in a country where people who get sick aren't treated like criminals.

BTW, the number they're calling is my private cell phone.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Comet bomb

(and why the hell did you give out your cell phone in the first place?)

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Cell phone number was given to them by the hospital. It's my only phone.

EDIT: The CEO of the hospital that was so desperate for the money that they sold the account to a collection agency makes $2.4 million annually. He must be the invisible hand's kind of guy.

4. FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Paging Jones, paging Jones.

He had a similar thread on this a few months back.

If we're lucky this will morph into a healthcare debate.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Start recording the calls and keep a written record of how many times a day they call. You'll need this information if you want to win the harrassment suit you need to file on these assholes.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Debt_Collection_Practices_Act

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

There was a lot of good advice on that thread of Jones'. Basically, you need to set up a payment plan with them, but once you do that, they're going to be off your back. I'd suggest $10 or $25 a month until it's paid off. There's no incentive to pay more, because you don't have to, interest is no longer accruing and mainly, they're assholes.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Here's a link to the 28-page pdf of the act.

www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre27.pdf

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just like the surgery, which was undoubtedly done on an invisible foot?

Have you attempted to work out a payment plan or settle for cents on the dollar? It's worth broaching it next time they call. They don't earn unless they collect something. So they will sometimes settle for cents on the dollar just to get something and move on.

Or is this about getting out of paying anything for your surgery?

If it's the latter, you do have some legal recourse. Under the FBCPA, which gandhi just mentioned, they have to stop contacting you altogether (not just calls -- any contact) if you notify them in writing that you want no further contact and you refuse to pay the alleged debt. So get their address, put it in writing and send it with some kind of verification that it was received.

Their only recourse then is to sue you, though. So be prepared. It may or may not be worth it to them, depending on what you owe. But once they get that written notification, they are only allowed to serve and contact you with regard to litigation or other attempted legal remedies they bring as a result of you refusing to pay.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

wry_rish,

Turn it around on them. Have some fun. When they call sob and moan and say you feel so damn guilty and are living on ramen noodles. Even the dog is eating ramen noodles. Talk at length about the different flavors.

Then start moaning about your foot still hurting and act confused. Like the pain pills have your groggy. Ask if they are the lawyer calling on the malpractice suit.

No sense in giving them a hard time. That's candy to them.

12. I disagree, fight the good fight and don't pay unless you feel like you owe.

First thing, you need to imediately ask for a fax number, once you do this, they're going to get pissed because they know what you are doing. Fax them a Cease and Desist letter and that will get them to quit calling you.

Draft saved Draft deleted