1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Collecting from Internet publisher

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bearcat Wright, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Bearcat Wright

Bearcat Wright New Member

I wrote for a sports Web site from sept through feb. The publisher stiffed me for 2-plus months payment ... about $800. I had an oral agreement with him and so did a buddy of mine, who has gotten paid. Any ideas on how i can collect from this deadbeat?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Tremendous.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thank god I wasn't drinking milk when I read this reply.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Oral agreement? Yeesh. Without anything on paper, that's a real...

[​IMG]

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We used to have a saying where I worked, "If it ain't writ, it ain't said".

You're pretty much out of luck.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

the theme song from people's court may be the best ever.

8. I'd try and shame/harass him into paying you. Call him every day. Call his wife. At work. Call his parents. Call Call Call.

Does the guy still publish? If so, go public so others don't get screwed too.

9. Go to his office and threaten to stab him in the face. If he doesn't pay you -- in cash, on the spot -- stab him in the face.

That's how we do things where I'm from.

10. Major Batman

Major Batman Member

I got ripped off the same way - almost a grand - for some radio hosting I did for a syndicated show. They were having financial problems but the guy kept saying - "I told the girl to get that check out to you. You should get it any day". Then one day the phone was disconnected and the e-mail bounced. I later heard they went bankrupt.

I hope you have better luck than I did. It really sucks getting stiffed - especially when you really need the money.

Draft saved Draft deleted