1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Collapse of the United States: Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh. Thanks. I try not to pay much attention, but I didn't feel like living here if there was a bust. That would be mayhem.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Look the US has had a pretty good run. What, 200-something years? I'm not good with math.

But my point is why does everyone expect the US to stick around and be such a great country forever. Things fluctuate. 200-something years of being No. 1 have been great. Maybe now it's time to step aside.

Countries rise and fall. That's the history of the world. Deal with it.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A thousand of those jobs Chrysler cut are at a plant in my little part of the Toronto 'burbs.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

By LAUREN VILLAGRAN, AP Business Writer 1 hour, 30 minutes ago

NEW YORK - U.S. manufacturing grew in October at the weakest pace since March, suggesting that ongoing troubles in the housing and credit markets have seeped into the industrial sector.
    "It's clear that manufacturers are taking their foot off the accelerator," said Ryan Sweet, economist with Moody's Economy.com. "That reflects the growing uncertainty around the U.S. economy, frail business confidence and soft domestic demand."

By MARTIN CRUTSINGER, AP Economics Writer 2 hours, 51 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Consumers, battered by a steep downturn in housing and a severe credit crunch, slowed their spending growth in September while a key gauge of factory activity flashed its weakest reading in seven months in October.

The Commerce Department reported Thursday that consumer spending rose by 0.3 percent in September, the smallest rise in three months and lower than the 0.4 percent increase that analysts had been expecting. Incomes grew by 0.4 percent, matching the August gain, and in line with analysts' forecasts.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

230+ years is the run of the show, but we've only been a hit from 1943-2001

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"Damn you! Damn you all to hell!"

[​IMG]

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Regarding your 401k money and mutual funds, etc., this is no time to speculate. Get that money in proven, solid performers (yes, they are still around).

Exxon, on average, made a PROFIT of $4.262 MILLION for every HOUR of the third quarter. Every time I go to the pump I feel like I should bend over and say, "Yessir, may I have another?"

8. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Thank god we have people like Dinesh D'Souza to tell us DON'T WORRY! THE MEGARICH ARE DOING FINE WHICH IS GOOD FOR ALL OF US! Otherwise I'd be worried about my debts and future, but at now I can breathe easy because a billoinaire can afford a nicer private jet! YAY

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Exxon fell 2.3% today. Missed it's quarterly mark.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wonder how many newspapers will trim staff in response to that.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Um, I think you're confused. Oil's not struggling, the rest of the American economy is. High oil prices are good for them and bad for everyone else--its why the economic fortunes of oil regions usually an follow inverse relationship to the rest of America. I'd think the Texas oilmen are doing their yee haw dance at current price levels.

12. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

If you like the price of Oil now wait until we bomb Iran. This time next year $96 a barrel will seem like a bargain.

Draft saved Draft deleted