1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colin Cowherd a "spoiled little ****head."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SockPuppet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What's the world choice police?

:)

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If I could choose my worlds - that would be nice.

As for word choice, past history is redundant. Repetitive, too. And that's a true fact.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As the Word Turns

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Colour my Word.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And people blame me for threadjacks. ::)

6. dooley_womack1

Don't right a cheque ewe can't cache.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I can sum up Cowherd's gimmick on one paragraph:

I am a casual, arrogant, front-running sports fan who doesn't pay that close of attention to sports because details are for dorks, but I know where I stand on pretty much everything. I tongue-bathe the stars, especially those in in major markets, and I take pro-establishment positions that seem contrarian on the surface, but are really just thinly-veiled put downs of the little guy, the underdog. I am exactly the right age -- not so young that I think I know everything, but old enough to be certain that I'm right about everything, even if I don't know the answer. But not so old that I'm uncool. I'm not stupid, but I'm certainly not an intellectual, and I'm fairly proud of that.

But here is the thing, it's pretty effective radio. I listen to him when he's on and I'm in the car, in part, because he's pushing my buttons. And even though I know he's pushing my buttons on purpose, I don't change the channel. I think he's actually pretty good at playing his "character" of Colin Cowherd, even if he's a douche personally. (And I don't even know that he is.)

His gimmick makes him somewhat teflon when he reveals his ignorance. Earlier this year, he was taking about Joey Votto, a player he hadn't really heard of and had never seen play, and because of this, he declared that Votto wasn't that good, and players in the National League agreed with him. (WTF?) If Votto was good, Cowherd would have heard of him. This kind of nonsensical reasoning, however, works for him on multiple levels. Because the people who closely follow baseball are annoyed that someone could be so stupid and have a national radio show that they can't turn the dial because they want to hear what ignorant thing he'll say next, and the people who only casually follow big picture stuff in sports and couldn't name a single Reds player simply nod their heads and think "Yeah, this Votto, who the hell is he? He's no Pujols. I know that guy."

But Cowherd, at least to me, seems to be intentionally ignorant about this stuff because he knows it works for his gimmick. So I'm reminded of the Simpson's quote of Rainier Wolfcastle, and I think Cowherd would approve.

Jay Sherman: How do you sleep at night?

Wolfcastle: On top of a big pile of money with many beautiful ladies.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"The words are colliding!" {George Costanza}

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

The word police, they live inside of my head.
    The word police, they come to me in my bed.
    The word police, they're coming to arrest me, oh no.

10. dooley_womack1

It's the way of the word.[/alsocheaptrick]

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

DD, I don't know who you are (other than not being Les Carpenter) and I don't know what you do for a living (although I've been led to believe you are a writer) but I do hope you have an outlet to showcase your media criticism because this full essay above was 100 percent spot-on and very insightful.

12. dooley_womack1

Actually, he's KnicksFan

Draft saved Draft deleted