1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coles Molested as Youth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I checked and did not see anywhere so at risk of DBing I am posting a story that Karen Crouse broke yesterday in the Times about Laverious Coles being sexually molested by his step father.

I am surprised that this story has not gotten more play. Crouse did a good job contrasting the pain of a football injury to the inner pain that Coles has suffered off the field.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/22/sports/football/22jets.html?_r=1&ref=football&oref=slogin

2. Sports Producer

Sports Producer New Member

Because he revealed it LAST year

PRO FOOTBALL; New Trust Lets Coles Share Secret, New York Times, September 18, 2005, Section 8, Page 1 (Requires Fee to Read)
    Laveranues Coles at NFL.com

Here is another excerpt/link"

Today's Oprah Winfrey Show (Oct. 18, 2005) featured Laveranues Coles, an NFL player who was serially raped by his step-father while a gun was held to his head. ..... Especially impressive was this man's reasons for speaking out. His willingness to do so also set him free from his perpetrator. Its a show that shouldn't be missed

3. Boom_70

Ok that sheds some light on it. Thanks SP.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

you were joking. right? coles went on freakin' "oprah" after karen wrote the story and she mentions his past every chance she gets.

5. Boom_70

Yes - sarcasm font was not working .

I hear she is now working on a story about Coles getting booted out of Fla State for stealing sneakers.

Imagine if the Jets make the Super Bowl. We'll be reading quotes from coles proctoligist.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

my apologies for not picking up on the sarcasm. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted